Use empty list when nothing is selected

Jump to solution
04-18-2024 05:09 AM
KennethLindhardt1
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

By adding a list, it always takes the first part in the table to show that part.

I need to get the dynamic data to empty until I select a polygon in the map.

It is misleading when something is shown in the list, and it confuses the users, since they can by accident unselect the the polygon, and then it jumps back to the first data in the list.

How do I make it empty, when nothing is selected?

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Try this. Go to the Data Tab on the left-hand side of the screen. Then find your buildings layer. At the bottom of the panel check on the View For Empty Selection Button. Then press the gear icon next to it. 

JeffreyThompson2_1-1715084891163.png

Now make a filter that won't find anything. OBJECTID is blank should always return no results.

JeffreyThompson2_0-1715084830143.png

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Set the Data View in your List Widget to Selected Features. If you have any dynamic content already configured in your List, you may need to re-configure it.

JeffreyThompson2_0-1713443695274.png

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
KennethLindhardt1
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Jeffrey, it was mainly that I needed to rebuild 🙂
I used the Create a Viev on the feature and added that to the action data on the map

What if I want to do the same with a table, that is filtered by a selection in the map through an action connection with the same ID's.

I have a trigger on my polygon layer, the action data is a table.

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

So you want the end-user to select something on the map and have it filter both a table and a list?

1. Set up your Table Widget and your List Widget on a Selected Data View as above.
  2. In your Map Widget, set up an Action to Select Data Records. Message Action > Record Selection Changes > Framework > Select Data Records
GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
KennethLindhardt1
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Jeffrey.

The table in the list is filtered perfectly on selecting a polygon, however, it starts up with the full list, where I want it to show: "No Data"
Maybe I don't understand this correctly, but my workflow and data is:

A polygon layer with building lots

A table with address points (Point layer, but are not using the points to select. This table is filtered out by the selection of the Lot polygon in a list, and by clicking on an address in that list, it's filtering out 2 lists with owners and administrators)

A table with information about Lot owners

A table with information about Lot administrators

A table with information about unit/department owners

A table with information about unit/department administrators

The filtering of all these tables works, but when I open op the Experience builder, I want to be presented with no data in the lists that contain tables, until a lot is chosen.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm not sure I fully understand how your application is designed, but I think there could be a way to hack the Near Me Widget to get what you want. Configure Near Me to find points within the selected polygon triggered by map click and then send it to the List Widget. Then hide your Near Me Widget.

https://community.esri.com/t5/experience-builder-tips-and-tricks/using-near-me-without-looking-at-ne...

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
KennethLindhardt1
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Jeffrey, sorry for not explaining this probably.

I followed your previous steps, and I got my tables to work.

If I click a lot owner polygon it will show the people living on that lot using common ID's If the lot is not selected, it shows no data, so that's perfect. 

For some reason I can't do the same with a building polygon within the lot. The list including building polygons are showing all the building data when opening up the app, even though nothing is selected:

KennethLindhardt1_0-1715070939272.png

When I select a polygon it filters out correctly and select the buildings inside of the Lot.

In the list it should only get data of selected features, so I'm a bit lost here, I'm hoping for a solution.

So all the tables works with selected features from a polygon layer, but I can't get the polygon layer to work., where it should only show the building with the matching ID's when a Lot is chosen, and not when it's unselected.

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Try this. Go to the Data Tab on the left-hand side of the screen. Then find your buildings layer. At the bottom of the panel check on the View For Empty Selection Button. Then press the gear icon next to it. 

JeffreyThompson2_1-1715084891163.png

Now make a filter that won't find anything. OBJECTID is blank should always return no results.

JeffreyThompson2_0-1715084830143.png

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
KennethLindhardt1
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Jeffrey, that worked perfectly. A long way to that end goal, but it was worth it 🙂 
I was actually close to it, I added ObjectID == -1, however that wouldn't then show anything, now I have not data when nothing is selected, and everything is filtered and selected when a polygon is selected.

Thank you, your help is much appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos