Unable to use Tabs Component

Jump to solution
10-08-2021 10:28 AM
AlejandroMari1
Occasional Contributor

Hello! I'm trying to use the <Tabs> component in a custom widget on ExB dev edition 1.5. 

The component is defined on the ExB storybook (https://developers.arcgis.com/experience-builder/storybook/?path=/docs/components-jimu-ui-index-tabs...)

The Tabs don't load, and the console throws this error:

react-dom.js:9 

TypeError: Cannot destructure property 'variants' of 'x' as it is undefined.
    at Ur (index.js:formatted:13737)
    at Sv.getComponentStyles (index.js:114)
    at index.js:116
    at Vt (index.js:56)
    at Wt (index.js:56)
    at index.js:56
    at index.js:56
    at no (react-dom.js:9)
    at Ro (react-dom.js:9)
    at Vu (react-dom.js:9)

My code inside the render function is the following:

<div>
    <Tabs
        defaultValue="tab-1"
        onChange={() => { }}
        onClose={() => { }}
        type="underline"
        value="tab-1"
        className='tab-flex'
    >
        <Tab
            key="tab-1"
            id="tab-1"
            title="Tab 1"
            className='text-truncate tag-size'
            closeable={false}
        >
            <div className='mt-2'>Content 1</div>
        </Tab>
        <Tab
            key="tab-2"
            id="tab-2"
            title="Tab 2"
            closeable={false}
        >
            <div className='mt-2'>Content 2</div>
        </Tab>
    </Tabs>
</div>

Any thoughts? Even a copy-paste from the storybook samples fails with the same error.

Has anyone been able to make this work? 

Alejandro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AlejandroMari1 

After discussing the problem with developers on the team, here is some information for your reference -

We've tried the Tabs component inside ExB v1.5 and it works fine, the code and result are as follows:

TonghuiMing_0-1633933466241.png

TonghuiMing_1-1633933476736.png

The issue you've encountered seems to relate to how this component was being used. Telling from the error, it happened when the component read theme variables - not getting the correct ones.

To ensure ExB components work fine, there must be a ThemeProvider at the top level of your codes (please refer to more information about React context here) to provide the needed theme variables. If you are in the correct environment, or your app is generated from ExB, this ThemeProvider should have been defined already.

Another possibility is that your custom widget had another ThemeProvider, which was giving the wrong theme variables.

Hope the above information can help in some way. Feel free to provide more information if you'd like as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@AlejandroMari1 

This is what works for me in 1.5.

<div>
    <Tabs
        defaultValue={"tab-1"}
        onChange={() => { }}
        onClose={() => { }}
        type={"underline"}
        value={"tab-1"}
        className='tab-flex'
    >
        <Tab
            id="tab-1"
            title={"Tab 1"}
            closeable={false}
        >
            <div className='mt-2'>Content 1</div>
        </Tab>
        <Tab
            id="tab-2"
            title={"Tab 2"}
            closeable={false}
        >
            <div className='mt-2'>Content 2</div>
        </Tab>
    </Tabs>
</div>

Of course make sure to import  {Tabs, Tab} from 'jimu-ui';

0 Kudos
AlejandroMari1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @RobertScheitlin__GISP . I just copy pasted your code and I get the same error still... 😞 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@AlejandroMari1 

I can not explain why you are getting this error as I can use paste this code into my widget and it functions fine. You must have other issues in your widgets code.

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AlejandroMari1 

After discussing the problem with developers on the team, here is some information for your reference -

We've tried the Tabs component inside ExB v1.5 and it works fine, the code and result are as follows:

TonghuiMing_0-1633933466241.png

TonghuiMing_1-1633933476736.png

The issue you've encountered seems to relate to how this component was being used. Telling from the error, it happened when the component read theme variables - not getting the correct ones.

To ensure ExB components work fine, there must be a ThemeProvider at the top level of your codes (please refer to more information about React context here) to provide the needed theme variables. If you are in the correct environment, or your app is generated from ExB, this ThemeProvider should have been defined already.

Another possibility is that your custom widget had another ThemeProvider, which was giving the wrong theme variables.

Hope the above information can help in some way. Feel free to provide more information if you'd like as well.

0 Kudos
AlejandroMari1
Occasional Contributor

Hi @TonghuiMing , thank you very much for your reply. This helped me solved the problem. I was using the <Tabs> component in a subcomponent that was created using ReactDOM.render inside a widget (I need to do it this way for this particular component). I was able to use other Jimu UI components here just fine (like <Alert> or <Button>), so that's why I thought it was a problem with the <Tabs> in particular since other components were fine. It seems that those other components don't have the dependency (or handle it somehow when it's missing).

This is the code to make this work:

ReactDOM.render(
    <ReactRedux.Provider store={getAppStore()}>
        <ThemeProvider theme={this.props.theme}>
            <CutomComponent />
		</ThemeProvider>
    </ReactRedux.Provider>,
    div);

(the <CustomComponent> can now had <Tabs> inside and it will work.

Just as a suggestion, you could note those dependencies on the storybook  (https://developers.arcgis.com/experience-builder/storybook/?path=/docs/components-jimu-ui-index-tabs...), as it gives the impression that the Jimu UI library can be used in any context.

Thanks again!