Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to search multiple fields in Experience Builder

Jump to solution
Tuesday
swhitcombMCC
New Contributor III

I have this Experience Builder site based on this web map.

I have configured the Search widget to search on three fields: 'Common name', 'Taxon name', and 'Accession number' (screenshot below). But only the common name is available when I type in the search bar. If I type in an accession number or a taxon name (aka scientific name), nothing comes up.

I have tried to configure the web map to be searchable, but most of my fields do not appear in the "Add Layer" dropdown menu (screenshot below). The weird thing is that 'Accession number' DOES appear in the list, but 'Common name' does not.

This may be due to the fact that this map is based on a Solution called Tree Management. I have modified the Trees feature layer in the solution to include more fields. 'Common name' was already present, but the other two were not.

How do I set up my map to search on these newly added fields?

Experience Builder search configuration:

swhitcombMCC_0-1724777273444.png

Web map search settings:

swhitcombMCC_1-1724777438186.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWestern
Occasional Contributor II

Maybe I am being over simplistic but.  It looks like you are displaying 3 fields, but only searching in one.

TimWestern_0-1724782521850.png

Note the green circled area, you can add additional fields to search in there.  (depending on data set more fields may slow the search a bit, but I have seen this work with some caveats related to how the parsed string from search is used in the where clause.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWestern

Maybe I am being over simplistic but.  It looks like you are displaying 3 fields, but only searching in one.

TimWestern_0-1724782521850.png

Note the green circled area, you can add additional fields to search in there.  (depending on data set more fields may slow the search a bit, but I have seen this work with some caveats related to how the parsed string from search is used in the where clause.)

0 Kudos
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I agree, this is what I would suggest as well. Should be find that you copied another solution. I copy and remake things all the time!

0 Kudos
swhitcombMCC
New Contributor III

Thanks, that's exactly what it was. I was interpreting the "Display fields" to mean "Search fields" and ignoring the obvious dropdown right above it.

0 Kudos
TimWestern

Don't feel bad about it.   I've done the same thing, I think our mind looks for the word Field first, and then our eyes scan right. because of it being listed as Display Fields or Search Fields.  the mind may not pick it up and without forcing us to focus on that section when reading that might be why we miss it.

Glad we found the fix for ya.

0 Kudos