Select to view content in your preferred language

Near Me widget much too slow

08-16-2023 04:01 AM
Labels (1)
KellieHeney
New Contributor II

I am currently working on trying to recreate a Web Appbuilder application in Experience Builder. One of the most popular features in the Web AppBuilder application that my users use is the Near Me widget. With this widget they can easily and quickly see a summary of features, from a number of layers, that fall within a specified distance of their area of interest.

I was very excited to see this tool be added to Experience Builder. It seems to work great, quickly, and as expected if I am only using one Analysis Layer. However, if I add even one additional Analysis Layer, the widget slows to a crawl, takes several minutes to load the results, and often my browser will become non-responsive.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Is there a workaround? I know this widget is still in beta, so maybe it will be addressed in a future update?

The ability to have multiple Analysis Layers working just as quickly as they do in Web AppBuilder is essential, and I will not be able to successfully migrate to Experience Builder without it, so I am hoping there is a solution to this problem.

Thank you!

10 Replies
SebHudson_GlasgowiHub
New Contributor

Hi,

Did you get a resolution?

I'm just experiencing the same thing. It seems to be an issue when using closest or proximity. I've tried a variety of layers from different sources and encounter the same issue with all of them.

Thanks

Seb

KellieHeney
New Contributor II

I'm sorry you are having the same issue! No I have had no resolution to this. I have noticed that hosted feature layers seem to work quickly in this widget, even when using more than one analysis layer - but for a number of reasons, I can't exclusively use hosted feature layers in the application I need to build

0 Kudos
DianeFoote
New Contributor III

So how long is too long?  I have a single hosted feature layer with about 10 rows (representing species)  in it and I am using the proximity tool and it spins for 10-5 seconds before returning the list of species.  I tried just using a layer with just one record in it and it takes about 2 seconds.   Is this similar to what you are seeing?    

0 Kudos
KellieHeney
New Contributor II

No, it was taking several minutes and then crashing the browser. 5-10 seconds would be a dream! It seemed to be caused by using non-hosted feature layers, but I have yet to try it in the non-beta version of the widget.

0 Kudos
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @KellieHeney , 

If you still see this performance issue with non hosted layers, please log an issue with esri support, they will be able to help you identify the underlying cause and send the issue to the appropriate team to fix it.

Thanks,

Aziza

0 Kudos
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

@DianeFoote is it possible to share your app with us?

0 Kudos
DianeFoote
New Contributor III

@AzizaParveen1  

Yes!  Here it is:  https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/0a33ccc85aca4c37b101fd605cd948b3/

I hope it's something simple.  🙂 

0 Kudos
AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @KellieHeney

I am sorry to hear that, we noticed this issue when there are large number of layers in the web map, or there are more than 30000 features in a layer. I am wondering if you can share your web map with us, so we can test it from our side. 

We are working on this issue, we made some changes in the configuration side (added confirmation buttons so the user interface does not update for minor changes) in October update and in February we are working on improving the runtime performance, Experience Builder team is also working on some resolution from there side.

Thanks,

Aziza 

KellieHeney
New Contributor II

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I had paused work on this for a while, but just checked my experience builder applications again now and the issues seems to be resolved.

I think it might have been caused by services hosted on an old version of arcgis server from a third party organization that we were registering with ArcGIS Online as non-hosted feature layers. These layers worked great and quickly with Web appbuilder, but maybe Experience Builder was too advanced.

They have recently updated their server and I am not experiencing the slowness issue or browser crashing anymore. 

Of course maybe it is also down instead to the changes made ESRI side

0 Kudos