Select to view content in your preferred language

Experience Builder Widgets Lacking

Jump to solution
04-13-2020 04:49 PM
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

I have used WebAppBuilder to create good infographic websites, and would like to extend the wide range of widgets found in WAB to Experience Builder.  I like that EB allows you to customize the web interface more, and allows for multiple pages to be created under one "website".  However, there are very few widgets for working with a map.  I can't even find a widget for bookmarks. Is it possible to bring the WAB widgets into EB? I am not using the Developer Edition. 

Thanks,

Natalie 

23 Replies
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jianxia Song,

Are the Experience Build widgets built using JavaScript 4X? I took an ESRI class recently on how to use the JavaScript 4x API expecting to use it to customize the WAB widgets.  I was very disappointed to learn the WAB widgets use JS 3X so the class was irrelevant for WAB.  I currently use WAB for web map development and need to customize widgets for a client.  It will be very frustrating if WAB and ExB use a different JavaScript format than 4X, especially since ESRI now has a large library of sample code for widgets using JS4X. Is there a way to bring in these widgets to Experience Builder now? 

Thanks,

Natalie

0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Natalie,

Sorry for hearing that. Widgets in WAB have to be rewritten in Experience Builder. There is no simple way to migrate them directly. Although WAB 2D is built on JSAPI 3, WAB 3D is built on JSAPI 4 if you see fit in that route. I would recommend using Experience Builder and JSAPI 4 for new development. We do plan to reach the functional parity in ExB through incremental releases. What widgets are you looking for in order to move to Experience Builder?

0 Kudos
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jianxia,

I need to create a web application where my client can use a buffer around specified points to see associated feature layer information.  Specifically, my client is interested in evaluating commercial land parcels for their ability to be developed. So when a land parcel is selected, I want to have a specified buffer around the land parcel also select any utilities in the area as well as any environmental layers like flood zones that lie within the buffer.  The buffer distance would be set by the user.  Then, this information could be put into a report for printing. The list below contains widget I believe I would use. I have been paralyzed trying to figure out which path to take (WAB vs ExB vs build my own) so I havent actually started developing the web map yet.  Would it be possible to create a web app using ExB, then download it, edit it with these widgets, then publish it on a website? This is a similar approach to what I understand I would need to do with WAB if I want to add in custom widgets. 

LayerList widget with actions | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.17 

Print widget | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.17 

Feature widget - Query graphics from multiple layerViews | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.17 

Query features from a FeatureLayer | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.17 

FeatureLayerView - query statistics by geometry | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.17 

Thanks so much,

Natalie 

0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Natalie,

Have you had a chance to take a look at the Screening widget in Web AppBuilder? it might fit your need. It can do the buffering and report. 

0 Kudos
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Thank you David, I appreciate your answer.

Natalie

0 Kudos
MatthewMalone
Occasional Contributor

I'll definitely be following this thread since we're also realizing that we'll have to transition from the WAB apps to EB due to the Javascript 4.x usage.  I recently asked about new features in the Webmap Beta, which has a LOT of promise, only to find out that maps authored in the beta likely won't work in WAB...hence on to EB as the new path.  Basically, I'd love to "clone" our current WAB Launchpad Theme directly within the EB builder.

Fingers crossed for most of the WAB widgets can/will be ported over to EB.  I'm not a developer, so I truly appreciate the ESRI team's efforts, especially after reading in this thread about the framework differences.

Thank!

-Matt

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Matt,

The web map created by new map viewer beta should work with WAB as the map spec does not change except for group layer support and cluster renderer. In these cases, WAB will handle them properly. Currently, the Launchpad template in Experience Builder (ExB) is designed to mimic the Launchpad theme in WAB as you can tell from their names. One of ExB goals is to reach functional parity of WAB through incremental releases so the community move forward with new technology including JSAPI4 as you mentioned. Thanks.

MatthewMalone
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response!  The group layer support is something I've long sought after, but sounds like it might not work in WAB as you mentioned.  The one I'm really excited about in the Map Viewer Beta are the labeling tools, fonts, etc.  I have a feeling those might not be supported in the current WAB?  The new fonts are fantastic for cartographic choices, plus the ability to have multi-line labeling and different labels depending on scale...all great additions.

0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

You are right Matt. These additions from new map viewer will not work in WAB.

JoeChaconas
New Contributor II

It's been a couple years since this thread was established. Is there any update regarding the widgets in Experience Builder? Can we expect an update any time soon?