Experience Builder Edit Related Tables

Jump to solution
12-28-2022 01:19 PM
Labels (1)
ChristopherBarrow1
New Contributor

Hi, I am trying to solve a tabular data issue in the ArcGIS Online environment.  

I want any of my 4 or 5 users to be able to edit a coded list (domain).  When we add a new record, for example a work order in our work order table, and the requesting customer is not listed in the domain drop down list for the customer attribute, only I as the feature layer owner can go back to the data tab in the feature layer properties and add another customer in the coded list.

I have tried sharing the feature layer in a shared update group, and they can't edit it there.  

The environment I am looking at for the front end is the experience builder edit widget, b/c it allows us to add a new record.  I have tried linking related tables together, but can't come up with a solution.  

Does anyone have any ideas?  I am up for any solution, just as long as any user can still add a record.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, this is supported in ArcGIS Online, in Experience Builder. See What's new—ArcGIS Experience Builder | Documentation

Make sure to first specify a related records element in Map Viewer

View solution in original post

21 Replies
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChristopherBarrow1 

Unfortunately there is not straightforward way to do this right now. But I've heard this request before and it makes a lot of sense.

Perhaps this workaround would work?:

• Layer 1 (customers layer): has records for the customers (each row is a new customer), with the customer name/id field. This layer could be displayed in a List or Table widget.
  • Layer 2 (work order layer): Has a field to enter the customer name/id.

In your app, you'd probably use 2 Edit widgets:

• Edit 1: add a new customer to Layer 1
  • Edit 2: add new work orders to Layer 2

The users could create a new Work Orders (Edit 2) and refer to the Customer layer list (Layer 1) to copy-paste the customer name/id. If the name/id is not available, they can create a new record in the Customers layer (Edit 1). Downside: there's a risk the value is not properly copy-pasted.

This workflow would be simpified once editing related records will be available in the Edit widget. Then you should be able to add new customers to the Customers layer (Layer 1) and then add new related Work Orders directly for each of the customers. Being able to create and update related records in the Edit widget is currently being worked on by our dev teams.

I hope that makes sense...

Alix

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

It seems like Experience Builder shouldn't be released until it has the same functionality as WAB? What is the incentive to switch to EB if there's no functionality?

NathanR
New Contributor II

100% Agree. I'm stuck using WAB because EB does not have smart editor. There is no way to add a related record without manual copy/paste. So frustrating!

BenCunningham
New Contributor III

Ugh, if this is so, then why is Web AppBuilder being retired July 2024? This means I can't make the Experience I need right now, and if I invest time in making one in WAB it will soon need to be replaced... with Experience Builder.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@BenCunningham Only the developer edition is being retired in July 2024 - which means no new developer editions will be released after that date. Retirement for ArcGIS Online is not until the end of 2025.

BenCunningham
New Contributor III

Ok thank you for your prompt response. I'll move forward with WAB now since it is stable and I know how to make it.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Editing related tables in Experience Builder is currently in the product plan. The target release is this fall 2023, usually in October.

KumuduDesilva
New Contributor

Hi,

Is it released now? I am having issues with connecting relate table editing on EB.

thank you.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, this is supported in ArcGIS Online, in Experience Builder. See What's new—ArcGIS Experience Builder | Documentation

Make sure to first specify a related records element in Map Viewer