De-mystify Experience Builder URL parameters

Jump to solution
09-24-2020 01:22 PM
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

When I navigate to different features in Experience Builder I see a URL that (apparently) includes some identifier related to either the feature I've clicked on or maybe the location.  Can anyone de-mystify the RED part of the Experience Builder URL below?  Maybe Jianxia Song‌?

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/2fe9e44b691a4e32a9f0b84df16531c0?data_id=dataSource_3-Elect... 

Obviously, what I'd like to do is be able to build URL strings to be able to direct users from an external web page to a specific location/feature within Experience Builder.

However, even though this portion of the URL appears to change as you navigate to different features/locations, it doesn't APPEAR to do anything at all if you past the whole URL into a new browser tab.  

Thanks,

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
Tags (2)
48 Replies
EmilyMcLeanACTGOV
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Jianxia ,

Just wondering if there is a url parameter to display a specific sheet within a table? 

Thanks, 

Emily

Emily
0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Emily, this would require widgets to support URL parameters, which is not available yet. It would be great if you can summit an enhancement to Esri Support.

0 Kudos
EmilyMcLeanACTGOV
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response @Jianxia !

For anyone interested, I have also logged this as an idea: Experience Builder Widgets to Support URL Parameters 

Emily
0 Kudos
MarcHoogerwerf_TAP
New Contributor II

Hi Jianxia,

Could you please elaborate a bit on the url parameters? I've tried to find more details in the Experience builder documentation but could not find any.

I have a scenario where I have one page that displays visitor information for our offices and sites and a data source that contains all the relevant attributes (office hours, emergency numbers, links to emergency evacuation web maps, etc). If have defined views on the data source, Office1, Office2, OfficeN.

I would like to use these views as parameters for the page, like ?view=Office1. Is this possible with data views? 

regards,

Marc

Tags (2)
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@MarcHoogerwerf_TAP , view in the URL parameter is referred to the view in a Section but a data view.

0 Kudos
StefanFreelan
New Contributor II

@ Jianxia: Please correct me if I am wrong (I hope so)...

As best I can tell, the structured URL examples you provide ONLY link to the default map extent and not to a specific scale or location within the map. Is this correct? Is there ANY way to provide a link to an EB site that delivers a map at a specific location (center=, level=, extent=, bookmark=...)?? 

Likewise your example (and the Share widget) do not seem to retain information on layers that are turned On. Is there ANY way to provide a link to an EB site that delivers a map with specific layers turned On/Off (showLayers=, hideLayers=, etc.)??

I understand that URL parameters (per se) aren't an option with EB, but I'm hoping that there is something that I am missing in terms of generating / sharing a EB URL with more information than just the default map view / extent / scale...

And finally, while the EB structured URL path does change when a feature is selected (retaining this selection), it does NOT appear to retain location / extent information information. So if I have a feature selected that is outside the default map extent it will not be visible (to the user) using the shared URL. Likewise, the URL does not retain layer visibility information. So if I turn on a (non-default layer) feature and select a feature the URL will not turn that layer on, leaving the user unable to see the selection (unless they know to turn the layer on). And... even if I've selected a feature in a layer that is on by default and within the default map extent, the pop-up (that was open when the feature was first selected) does not pop-up via the shared URL...

Exp Builder is nice, but seems to lack some pretty basic web map functionality... (and yes, I know, Exp B is more than "just" a web map, with additional possibilities and thus different limitations. I'd happily be using Web AppBuilder - IF only it was being developed in parallel with EB for things like Group Layers...). 

thanks for any insight you can provide,

~stefan

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@StefanFreelan , what you are looking for are url parameters similar to those in Web AppBuilder. ExB does not have them yet. Currently we are working on migrating core widgets over like Edit, Print etc. If WAB works for you, I would recommend using it

0 Kudos
StefanFreelan
New Contributor II

Hello Jianxia,

In ExB, I would like URL parameters for:

• &center=
  • &level= (or &scale=)
  • &extent= (or &bookmark=)
  • (or some other way of specifying a location and scale...)
  • (or a way to Share an ExB / map state at a specific location)

And:

• &showLayers= (or &layers=)
  • (or some other way of specifying individual layers to be displayed in the map)
  • (or a way to Share a ExB/map state that retains the current layer's being displayed)

As I mentioned, I would gladly use WAB IF it had the newer functionality such as:

• Group Layers
  • Label Classes

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@StefanFreelan I see your points.  Thanks for sharing parameters you'd like to see in ExB. 

SZastre
New Contributor II

I would like to add the url parameter for query so that we can share a url that will zoom to a specific feature based on a query.