Customizing a dashboard in Experience Builder with tooltips

02-16-2022 05:48 AM
Tiffany_Wu
New Contributor III

Hello! I've built an ArcGIS Dashboard for a project and I am exploring options in Experience Builder to add a splash screen and other windows that can help the end user navigate and explore the dashboard. 

Currently, I have all of my windows as fixed windows, with the splash screen to start and "Next" buttons on each that link to the next window. However, it would be great to have the window show up closer to the dashboard panel that the tooltip is referring to, rather than fixed in the middle. 

Something else that would be helpful is if the part of the dashboard I'm referring to is not grayed out, but I'm not sure if that's possible. Or maybe an arrow pointing to the panel. 

Some solutions I tried:

• creating another button in the desired location, but I couldn't figure out how to link the "Next" button to that specific button and the window as well. 
  • putting buttons at the bottom of the map as a set of tool tips, but the only difference there would be that the user would have to know to click there rather than it being the only option (latter is preferred).

I would appreciate any and all advice on any solutions in using tooltips in Experience Builder, without any widgets and just an embedded dashboard.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ShengdiZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Tiffany_Wu ,

One workaround I can think of is to use a 100% width and height window with the transparent background color.

ShengdiZhang_0-1645091390548.png

You can then add red boxes or arrows that point to the desired targets.

Note that all widgets on the page and in the window should use % as their size and position unit to ensure that the guide works in all resolutions.

ShengdiZhang_1-1645091746083.png

Here is an example I made:

Regards,

Shengdi

Tiffany_Wu
New Contributor III

Hi Shengdi, thank you for your thorough response! Do you mind explaining how you create the box and arrow?

One difference between your example video and my situation is that from clicking the "Next" button, another window should show up with text and a tooltip. Is it possible to have the window, as well as the box and text, show up at the same time when "Next" is clicked?

0 Kudos
ShengdiZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Do you mind explaining how you create the box and arrow?

You can use the Divider widget to create arrows:

ShengdiZhang_1-1645164353428.png

Currently, there is not a widget to create boxes directly, but you can add a blank widget (a Fixed panel widget for example). Make sure its background color is transparent, and change its border to a 2px weighted red.

ShengdiZhang_2-1645164713705.png

One difference between your example video and my situation is that from clicking the "Next" button, another window should show up with text and a tooltip. Is it possible to have the window, as well as the box and text, show up at the same time when "Next" is clicked?

This is possible, in fact, the "Next" button in my example also opens another window. I add three fixed windows and use the "Next" buttons to open Step 2 and Step 3. The reason why the Step 2&3 windows don't look like windows is that they also have a transparent background color.

ShengdiZhang_0-1645163930251.png

0 Kudos
Tiffany_Wu
New Contributor III

Hi Shengdi, 

Thank you so much! I'm working on adding the boxes to direct the user's attention. I think I may be missing one component of this process which might be the transparent window widget that I believe you are showing how that connects with the red box and arrow, because instead of that transparent window (that takes up the whole page), I have fixed windows using the tooltip template.

My "Next" button on each tooltip window only allows me to connect/link with one other element in the experience. So right now I have each "Next" button linking to the next tooltip window. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to also connect that red box (which is a fixed panel widget in my page - locked in size and position) to the "Next" button as well.  

I created an example experience and recorded a video for a little more specificity in the flow I'm hoping to have for the user experience. Is there a step that I'm missing?

0 Kudos
ShengdiZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, I add arrows and boxes on windows instead of pages, that's why I use full-screen transparent windows.

I have created a sample template and shared it publicly. You can find this sample in the ArcGIS Online templates. Click the create button to see details.

ShengdiZhang_0-1645409870105.png

Mmwilliams
New Contributor III

This template was super helpful!  Thanks so much for posting this!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Shengdi, 

I used your Experience Builder template for a project of my own, however I'm having issues when I switch over to live view and preview. In the attached photos, you'll see that fixed panel (with red outline) and button are sized to highlight elements on my page. All the dimensions are set to % so the sizing stays the same across all resolutions. But when I switch to preview, the sizes do not stay consistent.  Is there a solution to this problem or something I'm missing here? 

0 Kudos
ShengdiZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, are you embedding another site on the page? My guess is that the highlighted element on the page is set in px, but not %, so in that case, you'd better set the fixed panel to px as well.

If that's not the reason, and you don't mind, you can send me the link to your app via direct message so I can take a look at it in detail.

Regards,

Shengdi

0 Kudos