ArcGIS Experience Builder 2024 Roadmap

01-10-2024 04:56 PM
Labels (2)
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor
43 67 14.5K

Updated on April 16, 2024.

Happy New Year! Here are features planned for 2024. In addition to migrating WAB widgets, we are woking on the WAB mode option - a simplified app building experience like Web AppBuilder. We plan to deliver it in the fourth quarter of the year. The planned release dates here are for Experience Builder in ArcGIS Online. New features will be picked up by ArcGIS Enterprise releases later. Keep in mind these features are subject to change please.

Jianxia_0-1713290233218.png

67 Comments
SarahNoakes1
Occasional Contributor II

Happy New Year to you too @Jianxia!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Select widget can do - if it allows selecting features on the map and displaying the results in a table without pre-configuring a table for every layer that would be ideal.

Also, the My Location widget is going to be crucial for migrating some of our JS API v3.x apps. There's no way we're going to have everything migrated by the time that goes out of support at the end of June!

RodW
by
New Contributor

Hi Jianxa,

Thanks' for the info. Will there be enhancements/improvements to existing widgets, eg Print Widget doesnt print draw measurements.  Can the Draw widget save out and reload graphics in json and allow for selected deletion of graphics . These are just a few current ideas.

cheers

Rod

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @Jianxia. Looks like by January of 2025 it may be worth revisting ExB again as our WAB replacement. Hope all these things, along with actual WAB parity and numerous bug fixes, make it in this year.

JuanManuelCruzHerrera
New Contributor III

Si se pudiera de alguna manera integrar todo lo que el WAB te da dentro del Experience, esta sería la mejor noticia del año porque a decir verdad a nosotros como empresa no nos aporta nada a nivel de posibilidades el Experience más allá de que si es bonito pero es insufrible y tedioso en comparación con lo que te aporta el WAB con todas las limitaciones que pueda tener. Suerte con ello y ojalá el Experience integre totalmente y solucione además errores que ya de por si tiene el WAB

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@SarahNoakes1, thanks for sharing. Are you using Web AppBuilder in ArcGIS Online or developer edition? Currently, the former is planned to be retired at the end of 2025, while the latter is planned to be retired in July 2024. 

HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the update, @Jianxia🙂 Are there any plans to add a widget that lets users log in/out or switch accounts? Seems like there's a need: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-ideas/sign-out-button-option-for-experience-...

SarahNoakes1

Hi @Jianxia ,

Thanks for responding.  We haven't used Web App Builder much here - most of our web mapping was built in-house using the JSAPI v3.x - this is an example: https://map.cornwall.gov.uk/website/ccmap/?wsName=CIoS_historic_environment.

I need to get as much of that functionality as I can into an Experience Builder site - I think I have my work cut out!

Cheers,

Sarah

GISRCY
by
New Contributor

Hoping that the URL parameter will support passing of authentication from code behind to enable the developers to embed the developed app in their enterprise applications. 

JasonBOCQUET

Hi @Jianxia Happy new year to you, and thanks to sharing with us the new roadmap.

I have a question about the "Group Filtering" things. How it works ?

If I have a group of 3 layers with a common ID, if I filter on the first layer, the two others are auto-filtered by the remaining ID's of the first layer filtered ? Or it's more a mechanic like : I have 3 layers with the same numeric field (number of employeers) so if you filter of the number of employeers on the layer 1, the two other layers are filtered by the same field ?

Thanks and have a nice day 🙂

MatíasRomeroToledo1
Esri Contributor

Hello @Jianxia , happy new year too,
I have questions about Web Scene performance in Experience Builder.
When using web scenes in EB, performance (loading data and viewing the same data) is affected, it loads very slowly, but when I see the web scene in the scene viewer, everything looks fluid.
Will this performance improvement of web scenes in EB be included in the next updates?

JoshBankston
New Contributor

Hi @Jianxia, are you able to provide any insight as to whether we will be seeing more advanced editing functionality added to the current editing widget this year? This is by far the largest hold-up to migrating over to ExB for our company.

JesseHolder
New Contributor

Hey @Jianxia, loving the upcoming ExB upgrades! Any chance we're gonna see Arcade expression functionality in the mix for dynamic text or filtering in Experience Builder?

AndrewSpencer
New Contributor II

Hi @Jianxia, I'm looking forward to the new features. One critical component for us before dropping WAB is the ability to generate reports from the Near Me widget - similar to the WAB Screening Widget. Near Me reporting was mentioned in your comments to the 2023 Roadmap blog. Are there any updates regarding a timeframe?

GianniCampanile2
New Contributor III

Thank @Jianxia for sharing.

These planned release dates refer to ArcGIS Online or also to  ExpB on ArcGIS Enteprise ?

NedCake1
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Jianxia

We are so looking forward to those URL Parameters! That is the main item that has kept many us from fully embracing ExB. When do you expect it to be available in ExB Developer Edition? 

Excited for the future of EXB!

Ned

P.S. Can't wait to retire my WABs! 

abisrael
New Contributor

This is great @Jianxia. Experience Builder has been a game changer for us. Congrats on all the progress. Our team is most excited about the group filtering and the batch editing this year, so let us know how we can help.

P.S. I'm curious about the select widget too. Can't wait.

BruceRiesterer
New Contributor III

Looking forward to the measure widget which will include default unit settings.  This is a critical need for public apps.  Thanks! 

Tiff
by

Hi @Jianxia, I also have a question about the group filtering functionality in Q1.

Will it be like this "Open" idea about filtering? https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-ideas/apply-single-filter-to-multiple-map-la...

What we need is to be able to identify null IDs and interact with a common field (ID field) across multiple layers and be able to filter each of those layers that have null values. Right now this requires creating a separate filter for each layer, so the grouping will help.

kevin_lawler21
New Contributor II

Hi @Jianxia,

The only thing I believe that is holding up fully transitioning our organization from Web AppBuilder over to Experience Builder is being able to click the Share widget, have the Link options come up (like in Web AppBuilder), Check the box for Save layer visibility, go back and copy the short url.

It seems like a simple add for the Developers.  Please let me know the plans for this request as our Business Development group is counting on it.  Thanks!

RyanBohan

Hi @Jianxia,

Thank you for the roadmap.  I heard rumors at the 2023 UC that experience builder looking into switching into a true mobile first experience.  Is this something on the roadmap for 2024?

Where you configure everything on a mobile size screen first, and then adjust the tablet, and desktop views.

Option for Mobile editing first - Esri Community

TimHudson
New Contributor

I am wondering if the select tool will help with the support of a tool to export to Shapefile, GDB etc.

DanielleGerlach_HNTB
New Contributor II

Hello, 

Will there be the ability to have gauges on EXB, similar to that of the Dashboard App? If so, when would that occur? @Jianxia 

erica_poisson

Hi @Jianxia - looking forward to the group filtering update. 

Do you have any plans to improve spatial filtering in Experience Builder so it is more on par with what is available thru Dashboards? This is a big missing piece from ExB. 

AdrianMarsden

I guessing it will remain using WebGL?  Currently that means we can't implement anything as our Virtual Desktops have no GPUs

James_Shreeve
New Contributor III

Hi, 

Is there any view to enhance the Edit widget within ExB anytime soon? For example merging/splitting of features. These enhanced editing tools would be hugely beneficial. Currently having to do some more advanced capturing of features on Pro and append to the feature service, which isn't ideal. 

Thanks!

BarryG
by
Occasional Contributor

It seems to me that currently in the chart widget, it is possible to either chart all data in the layer, or selected features, when configuring the chart widget. Is that correct, and if so, can ESRI implement the option to configure the chart widget to use all features or only the selected features, if a selection is made.

ScottKiley
ScottStepro1
New Contributor III

@Jianxia Two questions

• is batch attribute editing using conditional field visibility in the works? Currently using smart forms you can create conditional visibility but only update one feature at a time whereas its the opposite in batch edit attribute, you can edit multiple but there are no conditional visibility options and all fields must be visible at all times to update. 
  •  is there a plan to re-fix the allegedly fixed issues with exporting tables in EB?  Currently, no matter where or how you change the table view, when exporting records from EB, you get some fields you have turned off (map or app)... and do not get some fields that you have turned on (map or app)... very frustrating.  Web Appbuilder works exactly as expected and will continue to use it until this is fixed
DataOfficer

Disappointing to see that Batch editing is still a long way off, after previously being told it would hopefully be available Q4 2023.

DavidMcCorkindale1
New Contributor III

Hi @Jianxia ,

There's no mention of supporting advanced editing like split, merge, trace etc like is currently available in the current WAB edit widget.  Are these in progress or scheduled as part of the roadmap.  It would be good to get some transparency around when this parity functionality could be expected in order to migrate from WAB.

ScottKiley

@kevin_lawler21 , there are ideas for making the EB Share widget fully configurable like it's counterpart in WAB. Please Kudos them.

Share as Widget - Esri Community

Share widget (e.b.) - adding capabilities to gener... - Esri Community

ScottKiley

@DavidMcCorkindale1, and other needing Split and Merge capabilities added to Eb's edit widget,

if you haven't already done so, please add your Kudos to this idea:

Add Split/Merge/Circle/Copy in Edit Widget - Esri Community

VickyWang_COM
New Contributor

Hi @Jianxia

Thanks for the info and great to know there are more widgets to come with enhanced capabilities.

Will Google Analytics also in EXB Developer Edition? on which release?

Thanks

MarioSchedler
New Contributor II

Will there be a widget that allows structuring/ organizing the feature layer in web map? I would like to create group layer, sub group layers etc. and organize the feature layers according to user requirements. 

RamonPierce1
New Contributor II

Hi @Jianxia! Thank you for the update. Will the new WAB mode feature an "easier" way to customize the mobile application feature in Experience Builder? If not, is there a solution coming forward in the future to address the challenges of customizing the mobile feature in EB? Thank you.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@SarahNoakes1 , thanks for sharing the JSAPI 3.x app. The Select widget should do what you are asking for. See the upcoming new features in ArcGIS Online this week, which will be picked up by the developer edition 1.14 in March 20.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@RobW , the Print widget in ExB in ArcGIS Online already supports printing the map with graphics and measurements from the Draw widget. You can also delete graphics. Are you using ArcGIS Enterprise? As for saving out the graphics, it would be great if you can create an idea to the ideas site, collecting more use cases and requests. Thanks!

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Anonymous User  and @JuanManuelCruzHerrera, thank you for your encouragement. The WAB mode is intended to providing an intuitive workflow so you can create a map centric app easily like WAB. Hopefully by the end of 2024, you would have the parity to both widgets and app building experience for migrating apps over.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@HollyTorpey_LSA, the feature is under the consideration. The priority in 2024 is to migrating WAB widgets over.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@GISRCY, due to security concerns, ability to passing authentications through a URL parameter will not be supported in Experience Builder.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@JasonBOCQUET regarding your question relating to group filtering in this comment, the group filtering functionality should become available by the end of this week.

You'll be able to filter multiple layers based on common values shared across fields. You will be able to configure all layers and fields that need to be filtered, and to filter them all at once.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@MatíasRomeroToledo1, do you have a web scene that we can take a look for performance? If the data is not sharable, could you submit a ticket to Esri Support?

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoshBankston, advanced editing tools like cut, merge, reshape are planned to be available in 2024. No exact time yet. 

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@JesseHolder , support for Arcade expression at the framework level of Experience Builder is under the consideration.  So you can use it for dynamic text or filtering. However, this is the capability beyond 2024 due to WAB parity. Thanks for letting us know.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@AndrewSpencer Starting ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3 available in May 2024, you should be able to generate reports in Near Me and Print widgets from the printing service. You need to publish report templates from Pro to the printing service, then use it in Experience Builder. Currently this capability is not yet available in ArcGIS Online printing service.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@GianniCampanile2 , The dates on the 2024 roadmap are for ArcGIS Online. ArcGIS Enterprise will pick up new features from ArcGIS Online later. Thanks for the reminder. I just updated the post to clarify it.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@NedCake1,  these URL parameters will be available in the dev edition 1.14 on March 20. Thanks for being patient with us. More parameters will be coming.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@abisrael , Select widget is more powerful than its counterpart in WAB. Check it out along with the group option in the Filter widget and let us know if they work for you. The batch attributes editing has a dependency on Maps SDK for JavaScript. We are working closely with them to bring it over.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@kevin_lawler21, The URL parameter for layer visibility is available in the upcoming Online release. When you turn the option on in the new app settings ->manage URL status in the builder, you can simply copy the short url in the Share widget in either Builder or runtime apps.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@RyanBohan , the rumor is right. We originally planned to support mobile first configuration and are derailed to the WAB mode which has higher priority from the community feedback we've received. The mobile first configuration project is now targeting 2025.

About the Author
Product Manager for ArcGIS Experience Builder and ArcGIS Web Appbuilder. She likes camping and hiking.