Apply single Filter to multiple map layers

02-14-2023 04:16 PM
Labels (2)
williamsonsa_fultonhogan
New Contributor III

We would like to be able to apply a single filter to multiple layers in the map and related widgets in Experience Builder. The Filter widget has a very nice user experience which exposes multiple fields from a single layer. The end user can then select unique values from fields in that layer and a map/table can be filtered accordingly.

We would like to see the filter widget functionality extended to allow filtering on other multiple other layers in the map. I can imagine that the configuration of of the Filter Widget for multiple layers would be composed of either:

1. Allowing Message Actions on the Filter Widget. Based on a filter being applied, send a message to other layers to filter based on a common field.
  2.  Creating a Filter based on multiple Data Sources. Instead of selecting a single data source, allow multiple data sources to be selected and allow the app builder to select a common field across all data sources.

This is not an idea to support the migration of the Group Filter Widget. The Group Filter widget in Web AppBuilder has its own unique user experience which is quite different to the Filter Widget in Experience Builder.

@Jianxia - This is duplication of various other submitted ideas that are open at the moment, and lots of questions on the Community about if this is coming. It would be nice to collate many of these so users can upvote the central common idea. These include:

Thanks All.

7 Comments
LAG155
by

I support the great need to generate filters through an attribute common to other layers.

John1kelly

I have linked my question concerning this feature below.  I have started a project that I had assumed this type of feature would already by an option in ArcGIS Pro, but now I know it's not.  I think it would be useful where users want to visualize points based on universal fields across layers.  

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/how-to-create-display-filter-that-affects-all/m-p...

Lyle-GIS-Analyst

I fully support this kind of idea, at the very least in the capability to filter either a group layer or database collection all at once, but ideally also map-wide filters for each layer inside of the map.

MackenzieFox1

I definitely agree that this feature is essential.

Due to the limitations of the current search widget and the fact that I need to query a date field as well as perform complex "contains" and "any of" queries across two layers, I have been having to use a timeline widget and a multitude of search widgets to create the search I want. 

Could anyone provide some insight into when this capability will become available?

RobertAnderson3

Definitely need to be able to filter more than one layer in a map based on a common attribute. For example I have a point layer and a polygon layer for projects, they both have a "Year Started" attribute so being able to filter both on that would be great.

AroldoRocha

I realy suppor this sugest.

At the moment, if we desire to do one filter for many layers we need to use the Search Widget, like exposed in this article: (https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/experience-builder/mapping/filter-multiple-layers/).

This search widget is useful, but has intrinsec litimitations, like incapacity to do SQL querys; it use text to filter and we can't use a parameter check box; we can't filter by date field.

TonghuiMing

The group filtering capability has been provided in the latest AGOL release. See details at https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-ideas/ability-to-filter-multiple-layers-base... or the Experience Builder Filter widget documentation site.

Thanks,

Tonghui