Windows 10 and ArcGIS Server

Jump to solution
01-04-2018 01:22 AM
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have a machine with Windows 10 Pro being used as client machine so far.

I would like to install ArcGIS server 10.3 and publish services and use them for web/mobile app.

Before installing and deploying server here, what should I install/check?

there is no IIS for instance, only basic functionality.

I read the documentation and it is mentioned that this OS should be used as developer environment but I need to check if this solution is feasible for a light production environment.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

While I wouldn't personally use windows 10 in a PROD environment, Windows 10 is perfectly capable of running an instance of the IIS web server. I do so on my own laptop. While people frequently talk about a server as a distinct piece of hardware, a 'server' is actually software that runs on a machine that listens for requests from clients and responds in kind. IIS is just a role that can be enabled on a Windows machine. The process of enabling IIS is pretty easy. Windows 10 installs IIS version 10 instead of version 8, for obvious reasons. It’s the same exact process either way.

https://www.howtogeek.com/112455/how-to-install-IIS-8-on-windows-8/

Once you have IIS enabled, you'll want to install the web adaptor as part of your ArcGIS Enterprise installation. The web adaptor installer will configure the IIS role features you need.

ArcGIS Enterprise ships with it's own JRE. Unless you're deploying the Java web adaptor, you don't need to install a separate JRE. In fact, the IIS instance will only provide a hosting environment for the web adaptor. ArcGIS Enterprise is a complete system that doesn't have external dependencies on additional web servers beyond the web adaptor.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Pan GIS,

FYI, support for Windows OS 10 started with ArcGIS Server 10.3.1. This OS was not supported by the 10.3 release.

> Before installing and deploying server here, what should I install/check? ... there is no IIS for instance, only basic functionality.

Please review the system requirements,

ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Server system requirements—Installation Guides (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Serv... 

Lastly, ArcGIS Server 10.3 is currently in 'mature support', I suggest you use a more recent release.

Esri Support 10.5 (10.5.1) 

Hope this helps,

PanGIS
by

Hi Derek , thanks for you reply.

sorry, I was always referring to 10.3.1.

I know the docs and I am aware of the fact that 10.3.1 is in the mature support status. 

but as long as I don't have input from managers, I consider 10.3.1 as unique option.

My question was more naïve and poor.

I am not an expert of Servers per se. I can install AGServer, Portal and WA quite smoothly and make the work properly for publishing services, I am not that good in troubleshooting and understanding problems related to compatibility with other components,

My doubt comes because a friend of mine who is a SysAdmin whit knowledge on Servers but that doesn't have any clue about Esri's product told me I cannot to make a server instance work without a web server....blah blah (actually, here he went into details, big words, and I got confused).

Rephrasing my question: with a machine with  W10Pro installed, is it possible to install, create a site, publish feature service (registering data into a RDBMS), have a REST service, use this services for apps, on a machine that hasn't been used as server yet.

Do I need A web server - IIS or JavaEE - (beside for the Web Adaptor that I know it requires it? other stuff?

If so, I can ask the IT to set this machine as required.

In the meantime I am trying to create a similar environment on a testing machine in order to see if I can get to the bottom of this.

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

While I wouldn't personally use windows 10 in a PROD environment, Windows 10 is perfectly capable of running an instance of the IIS web server. I do so on my own laptop. While people frequently talk about a server as a distinct piece of hardware, a 'server' is actually software that runs on a machine that listens for requests from clients and responds in kind. IIS is just a role that can be enabled on a Windows machine. The process of enabling IIS is pretty easy. Windows 10 installs IIS version 10 instead of version 8, for obvious reasons. It’s the same exact process either way.

https://www.howtogeek.com/112455/how-to-install-IIS-8-on-windows-8/

Once you have IIS enabled, you'll want to install the web adaptor as part of your ArcGIS Enterprise installation. The web adaptor installer will configure the IIS role features you need.

ArcGIS Enterprise ships with it's own JRE. Unless you're deploying the Java web adaptor, you don't need to install a separate JRE. In fact, the IIS instance will only provide a hosting environment for the web adaptor. ArcGIS Enterprise is a complete system that doesn't have external dependencies on additional web servers beyond the web adaptor.

PanGIS
by

Thank you Derek and thank you Randall,

Randall's answer was something I was looking for.

I actually installed AG server on a Laptop and I published a service.

It worked without installing anything else, but I am waiting for news as they may probably buy a W Server Edition.

Thank you guys for your help.

0 Kudos