web map workflow

10-16-2019 01:26 PM
JeffPope
New Contributor II

Is it possible with out of the box ArcGIS server/AGOL to run a workflow against a feature service? For example, I have a point feature. I don't want the end user to be able to edit a point on that feature unless he/she is within a certain distance of that point. Say 50 feet. I have a 3rd party product where that is possible but kind of cumbersome and requires custom developer help ($$$).

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Jeff Pope

There are methods to control editing in ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise. The primary way to edit out of the box would be through the Map Viewer. If the location of the editor is important you may want to look into the Collector for ArcGIS. Collector is able to pull location information from a mobile device. 

ArcGIS Online - Data access and editing

ArcGIS Online - User types, roles and privileges

Portal for ArcGIS - Edit Features

Collector for ArcGIS

Collector for ArcGIS - FAQ

I don't know of a method to restrict editing within a certain distance of an attribute. An alternative idea may be to create a layer with a 50ft buffer around those point features. To act as visual aide in a Web Map. It would then be a matter of best practice to educate the end user not to edit within that buffer.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Thanks!

Thomas.

0 Kudos