Select to view content in your preferred language

Setup Oracle 19c (64 bit) 19.3.0.0 from scrach for EGDB 11.1 to store UN

03-05-2024 02:24 AM
gpgisandsky
Regular Contributor

Hi,

my customer require an installation guide to setup enterprise geodatabase from scrach.

The platform is Oracle 19c (64 bit) 19.3.0.0 on Linux + ArcGIS Enterprise v11.1 on Windows and the aims is build a utility network.

I found the following links:

a) https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.1/help/data/geodatabases/manage-oracle/setup-geodatabase-orac...

There are more detailed  documents like (posted by @MarceloMarques )

b) https://community.esri.com/t5/mapping-and-charting-enterprise-databases/mapping-and-charting-solutio...

but there isn't a specific document for utility network workspace.

are there other specific document? Which is the step-by-step official procedure?

Regarding b) procedure we are in the following path

In this path the DBA must do the following:

• Install and configure an Oracle instance. How you configure the Oracle instance depends on the specific needs of your organization. Consult Oracle documentation for installation and configuration information.

Check the ArcGIS system requirements before you set up a geodatabase to be sure the database management system, ArcGIS, and hardware combinations you want to use are supported.

• Create an sde user and schema.
  • Grant the sde user the privileges necessary to create a geodatabase. See Privileges for geodatabases in Oracle for a list of required privileges.

instead of of first path where the initial step are:

• Creates a database user named sde
  • Creates a 400 MB tablespace in the Oracle default location and sets it as the sde user's tablespace

The DBA have to create:

- one CDB

- two PDB (one for production, one for test) where (the geodatabase administrator will put the geodatabase with UN model)

so is there template or script to setup sde like other product?

Another question is about the lastest ufficial certificated Oracle patch version for Oracle 19.3.0.0 on ESRI Enterprise v11.1. Which is the lastest Esri raccomanded patch for oracle 19c (64 bit) 19.3.0.0 to use with ESRI Enterprise v11.1 and UN?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@gpgisandsky 

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

I want to clarify that you can follow the Production Mapping database guide books best practices in my community.esri.com blog above, you shall start by reading the Production Mapping database guide books first to build a foundation, the best practices are generic and can be applied to Oracle Geodatabases with Utility Network data, then if you want to learn to apply all the best practices and to go beyond and setup the Oracle CDB, Oracle PDB's, Oracle Tablespaces, Oracle Roles, Oracle Geodatabase ArcSDE Repository, Data Owner Users, etc, etc, etc, then download my database template scripts for Oracle, also available in the link above.

You must go with the latest Oracle 19c Release Update Patch - 19.22 16-Jan-2024 and continue to apply the latest Oracle updates going forward.

Other useful links from my blog.

How Load Large Featureclass Oracle Geodatabase
Pro Branch Version & Oracle Table Compression
Oracle eGDB SDE Repo Upgrade Using Oracle Restore Point | Download PDF Version
How to Move the Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase with the Oracle Data Pump Utility
How to Install Database Clients for ArcGIS
How to Install the Oracle Database Client for ArcGIS?

For more information.

ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 requirements for Oracle—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS ...

FAQ: What Oracle Database Versions Are Supported by ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Pro? (esri.com)

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I hope this clarifies your question.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos
gpgisandsky
Regular Contributor

Hi @MarceloMarques you are very kind, your links are very rich of details and there are a lot of infomation.

Just a clarification becouse I have to provide clear indication. We have:

- Best Practices for Storing the Production Mapping Workspace in an Enterprise Geodatabase in Oracle... 

ArcGIS Pro 3.x & ArcMap 10.9.x June 21, 2022 *New

In your scripts  there is a folder called db_admin_create (plus others) and best pratices book contain other scripts. Also sometime there are different database version scripts.

Could you indicate in which order these steps should be performed and what the reference is for (book or scripts and which script)?
- creation of instance/db
- creation of sde geodatabase empty schema

My platform is AGE11.1 on windows + Oracle 19c (on Linux) - based on Esri certificated platform.

Also these steps can be divided between  DBA  and Geodatabase administrator or we have to consider just a person that setup all things?

Thank you 

Giuseppe P.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@gpgisandsky 

Oracle 19c Database Template Scripts
ArcGIS Pro 3.x & ArcMap 10.9.x June 21, 2022 *New

if you unzip you will see that the folders are ordered by number 1, 2, 3, ... hence follow the order to setup the Oracle database and then create the ArcSDE Repository and continue to follow the scripts to complete the Oracle database configuration.

MarceloMarques_0-1709746454275.png

MarceloMarques_1-1709746508793.png

The steps in the database guide book are included in the database template scripts, but the database template scripts cover a lot more detail and advanced Oracle features and the person needs to be an Oracle DBA to understand the database template scripts properly.

My database guide books, and database template scripts do not make any clear separation of steps between the DBA and the Geodatabase Administrator, for that you will need to visit the ArcGIS Documentation and discuss with your Oracle DBA.

I strongly suggest you ask your Oracle DBA to read the database guide book and to look in detail into my database template scripts. 

If you or the Oracle DBA has never configured an Oracle Geodatabase before then I also recommed you to attend the training below. My database guide books, and database template scripts can be overwhelming if you do not have the basic Enterprise Geodatabase knowledge, of course I also present advanced Oracle Database features there but that an Oracle DBA shall have knowledge about it.

Deploying and Maintaining a Multiuser Geodatabase | Esri Training Instructor-Led Course
Implementing Versioned Workflows in a Multiuser Geodatabase | Esri Training Instructor-Led Course
Archiving Data in a Multiuser Geodatabase | Esri Training Web Course
Configuring Branch Versioning in ArcGIS | Esri Training Instructor-Led Course
Working with Utility Networks in ArcGIS | Esri Training Instructor-Led Course

You might also reach out to Esri Professional Services to seek assistance to setup your Oracle Geodatabases properly, and you can request a cost estimate for the service, this might be a good way to start till you have the training and build the knowledge yourself to do this in the future without any external assistance. 

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos