server cache still using source files

Jump to solution
01-20-2016 07:22 AM
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

I have a few imagery tile caches created based on imagery in either MrSid or Grid format in ArcGIS Server.  I'm trying to clear out some hd space and wanted to remove the copy of the imagery that is on that server, or at least move it.  However, despite the cache being created, and I assume being all that is used to display the imagery, Server will not allow me to remove the imagery files that were used to create the cache.  If I stop the server service and remove the files, no imagery appears anymore in my applications.

1.  Why would a cache need the original imagery data when working with a cache?  Is there some way to change this?

2.  Where is the reference to the original imagery located so I can change it?  I would like to move the data to another drive but not have to recreate the caches since it cripples the server during that process.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
33 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

And you are sure that your Flex App is using a ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer that points to the cached map service?

EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

hmm...now that you ask, I have them set as type="dynamic"....I believe I had to do that in order to avoid the issue of only being able to zoom to the available LODs.  It's been quite awhile since I set that up so I'm not positive that is why I did that.

So would dynamic be the reason for the lock?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

By looking at your config.xml you are not using any layer types but dynamic so your cached layers are not actually being used at all. You are bypassing the caching because you have them as type="dynamic".

EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

so I changed a layer to "tiled" and it doesn't display at all now, no errors.  Not sure what I'm missing here.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

Did you change one of the layers that was using a Map Service that is cached? The thing to understand is that a Map Service that is cached can be used as dynamic or tiled if you choose tiled then it will use the LODs and tiles that the cached service provides and if you set the type to dynamic it will use the same map service but ignore the tiles and request the server provide a image each time a request is made instead of using the cached image tiles. But the opposite is not true if you have a Map Service that has not cached tiles and you set the layer type to tiled then the layer will just fail to draw on the map.

EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

The services are cached and status is 100% tile creation.

from the map service properties in ArcMap:

from server manager:

I don't know what I'm missing

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not sure, but could "allow clients to cache tiles locally" cause the locking?

Also, are you zooming in only to those scales (LODs) you have cached?  or are you trying to zoom to additional scales.  Per Robert's comments.

Flex will force the map to display at the Levels of Display (LODs) that the map service was cached at, and will not allow for displaying at scales in between LODs.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

Because you are using type dynamic on all your base maps the caches are not being used and the fact that you have a 102100 and 2272 wkids in your base maps do not matter. But when you switch to tiled then all wkids have to be identical.

0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

It looks like all of the basemaps must be of type tiled for it to work.

Regardless, being stuck with particular LODs and not able to zoom in farther is unacceptable for us (we need the prints in scale and they vary a lot) so I guess  this means I can't use caches at all.

Is it just Flex that forces zooming to the LODs only or is it this way in Javascript as well?

0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

nevermind.  Robert already answered that question above and I missed it.

So having as dynamic was the reason for the original issue posted.

Tiled is not the answer for me however so I'll just work around it.

Thanks all!

0 Kudos