server cache still using source files

Jump to solution
01-20-2016 07:22 AM
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

I have a few imagery tile caches created based on imagery in either MrSid or Grid format in ArcGIS Server.  I'm trying to clear out some hd space and wanted to remove the copy of the imagery that is on that server, or at least move it.  However, despite the cache being created, and I assume being all that is used to display the imagery, Server will not allow me to remove the imagery files that were used to create the cache.  If I stop the server service and remove the files, no imagery appears anymore in my applications.

1.  Why would a cache need the original imagery data when working with a cache?  Is there some way to change this?

2.  Where is the reference to the original imagery located so I can change it?  I would like to move the data to another drive but not have to recreate the caches since it cripples the server during that process.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
33 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

That one is beyond me.

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Eric,

Here's something that might indulge you in how those values appeared: What ratio scales do Google Maps zoom levels correspond to? - Geographic Information Systems Stack E... 

Google Groups - Formula/equation to why the scale level values appear so.

Slippy map tilenames - OpenStreetMap Wiki  

Thanks,

Aravind

EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

mind blown!

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Eric,

esri have a good topic on designing a map cache to overlay Google maps, Bing, OpenLayers etc.  This is what we did - and it works very well.

http://server.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/linux/designing-a-map-to-overlay-arcgis-o...

If you are interested in the actual Web Mercator projection and how it works, this is one of the best articles.  It goes into detail about how the cache is really built:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb259689.aspx

So ... bottom line is we use the ArcGIS Online / Bing / Google / OpenLayers cache tile levels, as it means we can integrate with other external services, and it is fast.

Cheers,

Mark