Preserve the layer IDs of annotation in map services

10-23-2015 10:52 AM
JustinConner
Occasional Contributor II

I'm updating a map service using the data frame option to preserve layer IDs. Works great for all data types with the exception of annotation. When anno is added to the mxd arcmap assigns all of the anno classes a value -1. So when I go to publish the map I get the following error.

SEVERITYSTATUSCODEDESCRIPTIONNAMETYPEDATA FRAME
HighUnresolved00210Layer uses the same layer ID as another layer/table: -1 assignedDefaultLayerLayers

To correct the problem I manually change to layer IDs so that they are all different. Save the map, republish and the same error comes back. The layer IDs never saved and are set back to -1.

anno problem.PNG

Is there a workaround? Bug?

9 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I have the same error occurring.

Is the use of immutable layer IDs a necessity until ESRI fixes this bug?

Maybe ESRI assumed nobody would be using annotation in their mapservices so annotation was never tested against the new immutable layer ids feature?

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone have a gis web application that has a mapservice with annotation in it where layer ids were important to keep constant (immutable layer ids in 10.3.x), but encountered this problem (bug)?

Were you able to use the immutable layer ids to keep your code constant in terms of layer indices?

0 Kudos
JustinConner

I have ESRI case #01700017 open. Let support know you're having this issue as well.

0 Kudos
JustinConner

I was told this is bug is fixed in 10.4

It is bug #000086697

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I will be going to an ESRI UC in about a month where I can hopefully have ESRI demo this fix in ArcMap 10.4 that they might have available since it should be released shortly after the UC in the 1st quarter of 2016.

0 Kudos
AllenScully
Occasional Contributor III

I know this is an old-ish thread, but we're working in 10.3.1 and having the same issue.  Wondering a couple of things - is it a 10.4 server or client issue as far as a fix?  Also, has anything come to light that allows for a work-around if you can't upgrade to 10.4?

0 Kudos
JustinConner

I upgraded to 10.4 and the problem was solved. I don't know if there was a fix for 10.3.1.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This serious bug is still in 10.6.1. Hopefully fixed in 10.7.1. I have not used 10.7, waiting for 10.7.1.

I have seen this though even with non-annotation layers, such as the first two.

Serious PITA. I have noticed this happens when upgrading MXDs from before immutable layer IDs were possible (which was that a bad for viewers) and when you make the layer immutable in the TOC, then add layers, this happens. Even with non-anno layers.  Hopefully this is fixed in 10.7.1.

Ahhh and I just noticed... it changed ALL my layer IDs. I get to go back and change hundreds of them by hand now to what they should be.  I had to add one layer to a service with about two hundred layers. Great. They're all different. This always happens when adding a layer. This layer ID issue and webmap json not staying in sync with services are challenging to maintain Esri viewers. 

Wow and I tested; it messes up the layer IDs without even adding layers. Simply by enabling Immutable layer IDs option; they all jump around. 

(I was going to say This could be fixed if I could add it at the end, and drag it up in the webmap. That would require allowing re-ordering of sublayers. Hopefully, that will be coming when Grouping of layers and sublayers comes to webmaps. Or... it should come.  But... since it happens just by clicking Immutable Layer IDs I guess even that workaround wouldn't work)

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Michael VolzJustin Conner you all still seeing this??  I'm publishing from 10.6.1 to a 10.5.1 server (above) btw.

Kory Kramer

I see this on all kinds of MXDs anno and non-anno and saw this back in 10.5.1 to 10.5.1 as well and on two different machines, and now I see on 10.6.1, so I'm fairly sure this is a product bug. I would recommend immutable layer IDs be the default for MXD (Pro?) behavior going forward as well. 

0 Kudos