Select to view content in your preferred language

Match AGOL Map View Functions in Enterprise Portal

Jump to solution
03-08-2024 01:41 PM
CodyPatterson
Frequent Contributor

Hey All,

This is on Enterprise 11.2 (Maybe this feature was dropped from 11.1)

I received a question from a user of our Portal asking if they could Zoom To a Filtered search. This was a no-brainer, obviously you would be able to zoom to it from the table right? Well actually wrong, this is not possible in Enterprise Portal.

I'm curious why this is not a feature, here we can see AGOL:

CodyPatterson_1-1709933890426.png

I'm quickly able to filter, save, and search for this line, and then zoom right to it! No issue at all, but this is the same search, but in Enterprise Portal:

CodyPatterson_2-1709933976423.png

No search, no way to even get close to the location without scrolling out and looking around.

Please implement a method to zoom to these locations, users would very much not like looking around a map for minutes at a time searching for a polygon, when this exists in AGOL.

Hoping for improvement!

Cody

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Greco
Frequent Contributor

@CodyPatterson Do you have it added as a Feature Layer or as a Map Image Service in the map viewer?  I noticed if you add a layer as /MapServer, without the layer ID, the zoom to selection button is not visible, since you can't make a selection on a map image service, in either AGOL or Enterprise.  I am thinking you have it added as a feature layer in AGOL, but as a map image service in Enterprise.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Justin_Greco
Frequent Contributor

Which version of Enterprise are you using?  We are at 11.1 and the zoom to selection button is there.  You might be on a version of Enterprise that was released while that button was not available in AGOL.  So I would recommend upgrading to 11.1 or 11.2 if you want to use this feature.

Also you can expect most features (if not all) in the AGOL map viewer to be eventually available in Enterprise.  I’d expect the latest February updates in AGOL should be available at 11.3 or 11.4.  

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson ArcGIS Online is Software as a Service. You get updates as they come.

ArcGIS Enterprise is version-released. You get updates with new releases. A lot of ArcGIS Online functionality makes it into the releases but there will always be a lag. 

It's functionally not possible for ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS to be at parity.

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Frequent Contributor

Hey @Justin_Greco 

Oddly enough, I am using Enterprise 11.2, I had thought that was originally included. So it must be there correct? If possible could you post a screenshot of that, I may just be missing it!

Cody

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Frequent Contributor

Hey @ChristopherCounsell 

Quite correct that AGOL is SaaS, but when using 11.2, I assume that it would be updated to at least December 2021 AGOL, I see Enterprise as more of an Iaas since we purchase the software and host it on our own machines.

Here is a link for a post regarding December 2021 patch for Zoom To:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/zoom-to-selected-feature-missing-in-new-map-vi...

I believe it's reasonable to place ideas for QoL content that has existed for a few years already.

Cody

0 Kudos
Justin_Greco
Frequent Contributor

@CodyPatterson Here is a screenshot showing the zoom to selection button from the map viewer in 11.1.

Justin_Greco_0-1710161958894.png

0 Kudos
Justin_Greco
Frequent Contributor

@CodyPatterson Do you have it added as a Feature Layer or as a Map Image Service in the map viewer?  I noticed if you add a layer as /MapServer, without the layer ID, the zoom to selection button is not visible, since you can't make a selection on a map image service, in either AGOL or Enterprise.  I am thinking you have it added as a feature layer in AGOL, but as a map image service in Enterprise.

CodyPatterson
Frequent Contributor

Hey @Justin_Greco 

That looks like it's it! So strange that you cannot make a selection on a Map Image Service since it is filterable. I assumed that the Map Image would perform similarly to a Feature Layer, but I see what assuming gets me!

I'll be transferring over the hundreds of changes to the symbology and labeling, which is super unfortunate, but I suppose that's just how it goes!

Thanks again!

Cody

0 Kudos