I cannot create a Portal admin account with ArcGIS Enterprise

Jump to solution
11-01-2018 08:00 AM
ThomasSteenbergen
New Contributor II

I have a problem with the installation of ArcGIS Portal (on Linux). After the installation I want to create an admin portal account. For some reason, ArcGIS Portal thinks I need to upgrade Portal. In the createadmin.html page, I can only see 'continue Portal upgrade'. I installed it on a complete new server with the newest software (10.6.1).

I scripted the whole installation process with Ansible and already successfully installed ArcGIS Enterprise on 4 different machines (test-server). The same script fails with these new servers, as I get the error: Starting the createportal utility.\n==================================================\n\nChecking if the portal is initialized.\n\nThe portal is not initialized.\n\nValidating portal.\n\nConfiguring the portal.\n\nIndex Service configuration failed.\n\nFailed to configure the portal.\n\nExiting the createportal utility.", "stdout_lines": ["==================================================", "Starting the createportal utility.", "==================================================", "", "Checking if the portal is initialized.", "", "The portal is not initialized.", "", "Validating portal.", "", "Configuring the portal.", "", "Index Service configuration failed.", "", "Failed to configure the portal.", "", "Exiting the createportal utility."]}

As said, if I go to the webpage instead, it says I have to upgrade Portal first. If I try this, it fails also. I have no clue what could be the problem. I tried to reinstall, manually install with command line but with no luck. The weirdest thing is that I use the same script on a different machine with success. Both deployments are the same. I do use the same provisioning file on both deployments, but I have been told that a test and development deployment can use the same license file. Also, the error seems not to be the cause of the license file since the installation went well and error message state nothing about a license problem?

Do any of you have any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Try the following:

1) Make sure the db folder doesn't exist in the usr/arcgisportal/ directory. That directory is under the install directory by default

2) Make sure the config-store-connection.json file doesn't exist in the framework/etc directory. That directory is also under the install.

3) Restart Portal

Try to create the Portal again and if it fails, check the logs for information about the failure.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Try the following:

1) Make sure the db folder doesn't exist in the usr/arcgisportal/ directory. That directory is under the install directory by default

2) Make sure the config-store-connection.json file doesn't exist in the framework/etc directory. That directory is also under the install.

3) Restart Portal

Try to create the Portal again and if it fails, check the logs for information about the failure.

ThomasSteenbergen
New Contributor II

Awesome, thank you very much! This did the trick. I only removed the db folder in the usr/arcgisportal/ directory, I did not have a config-store-connection.json file at the time.

Is this a common bug? Or do you have any idea what causes this issue? For future deployments, I maybe have to add something to my installation script.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

No problem!

No, I haven't heard of this problem before. If creating the portal fails, it should delete the db directory and any other files/folders that were created during that process. Perhaps it couldn't delete the directory when it tried to? The logs should tell you why it failed and hopefully why it couldn't delete the db folder.

ehakanyorulmaz
New Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

I have same issue in my Portal. Portal version is 10.6. Im install portal and create portal admin account. After application automatically begin to restart. But then the portal didn't quite work after it started. The service is running but I cannot login to portaladmin. I get white screen in arcgis/home directory. 
Portal startup log at below
<Msg time="2021-06-03T11:04:30,923" type="SEVERE" code="218010" source="Portal Admin" process="8200" thread="1" methodName="" machine="ARCPORTAL.LOCAL" user="" elapsed="">The portal has been initialized and configured but is not accessible. The internal portal database does not appear to be running or accepting connections. Restart the portal machine or machines and if the problem persists, contact Esri technical support (U.S.) or your distributor (customers outside the U.S.).</Msg>
<Msg time="2021-06-03T11:04:30,923" type="WARNING" code="218012" source="Portal Admin" process="8200" thread="1" methodName="" machine="ARCPORTAL.LOCAL" user="" elapsed="">Error at check and update urls. The portal is currently unavailable. Please contact your portal administrator.</Msg>
<Msg time="2021-06-03T11:04:34,209" type="WARNING" code="218014" source="Portal" process="8200" thread="1" methodName="" machine="ARCPORTAL.LOCAL" user="" elapsed="">Starting Index Service.</Msg>
<Msg time="2021-06-03T11:04:34,287" type="SEVERE" code="110546" source="Data Store" process="8200" thread="50" methodName="" machine="ARCPORTAL.LOCAL" user="" elapsed="">The data store data directory may have been copied from another machine. This is an unsupported workflow. If the host identifier changed, please make sure the owning ArcGIS system is accessible.</Msg>
<Msg time="2021-06-03T11:05:01,827" type="WARNING" code="218015" source="Portal" process="8200" thread="1" methodName="" machine="ARCPORTAL.LOCAL" user="" elapsed="">Started Index Service.</Msg>
<Msg time="2021-06-03T11:05:16,864" type="WARNING" code="217060" source="Portal" process="8200" thread="1" methodName="" machine="ARCPORTAL.LOCAL" user="" elapsed="">The database server was found to be stopped. Re-starting it.</Msg>
<Msg time="2021-06-03T11:05:24,798" type="WARNING" code="217064" source="Portal" process="8200" thread="1" methodName="" machine="ARCPORTAL.LOCAL" user="" elapsed="">The web server was found to be stopped. Re-starting it.</Msg>

Note: ArcGIS Datastore is not installed on the server

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am interested in researching using Ansible for my ArcGIS Enterprise deployment.  Any pointers to get me started?

0 Kudos