ArcGIS Enterprise Geodatabase Licensing

Jump to solution
07-15-2021 02:25 PM
AbdAhmad
New Contributor III

Dear All,

I would like to have a confirmation on the below question , as there is nothing clear in the documentation provided by ESRI. Is it a must that the ArcGIS Enterprise - GIS Server to be installed on the same machine that hosts the RDBMS database that will be used as my enterprise GDB. In other words , is it legal from Esri policy to use the authorization keycode file available in the sysgen directory of the server that has the ArcGIS server installed and authorized on to authorize the enterprise geodatabase that is hosted in external RDBMS server that does not have ArcGIS server installed on or its a must to have the Arcgis server installed on the same server that will host my RDBMS Geodatabase or shall I request another separate ArcGIS Enterprise Basic license to be used in this type of deployment that has the RDBMS hosted on different server than the ArcGIS Server ? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbdAhmad
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WhereMatters
Occasional Contributor

Hi AbdAhmad

No, it is not a must to have ArcGIS Server and Enterprise GDB to be installed on the same machine. They are typically always installed on different machines for performance reasons. 

0 Kudos
AbdAhmad
New Contributor III

Hi Anand,

Thanks for your response. Actually my question is not if they can installed on diffrent machines or not , Actually I know it typically installed on diffrent machines. My question is more about the licenses and authorization, I want to know if based on ESRI policy , is it legal to use the keycode file generated under the sysgen directory (after authorizing the ArcGIS server hosted on different machine that the database server) to authorize the geodatabase that is enabled under the RDBMS database hosted on the other server or shall I purchase another ArcGIS server Enterprise Basic license! hope this clarify my question!

Thank you

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That should be ok and supported. You can use that keycode file to create the Enterprise Geodatabase(s) for the associated ArcGIS Enterprise (Server) deployment on that RDBMS instance.

I would highly recommend contacting you Esri account team for further questions related to licensing and the "legal" questions.

--- George T.
AbdAhmad
New Contributor III

Thanks George

0 Kudos