How to switch values in a coded value domain?

02-05-2016 12:41 AM
FriedaL
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a coded value domain for a layer in my database. All the fields drop-down options are displayed in English. Now I would like to be able to switch those names to French (obviously without changing the code). The idea is that I can publish the layer to two different Feature Services on the GIS Server, one with the drop-down options displayed in English and one with the options displayed in French but both synchronizing back with the same database. So I am wondering whether and how that could be possible. Is there a way to switch values in a domain but without changing anything in an already published service or could I have different language versions of a database? Or is there a way to make changes once the layer is published on the server?

The ideal thing would be if I could specify two values per code and then when publishing say which one I want to have displayed but I'm guessing that's not possible.

Any ideas or work-arounds for such a problem would be very welcome!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Although not the answer you are probably looking for...one workaroung would to include for in one pulldown.

english(french)

This might not be practical, depending on the length...but it is a way to do it.  (you probably thought of that already).

0 Kudos
FriedaL
New Contributor II

Dear Rebecca, thanks for the feed-back. I did think of that before but as you mentioned it's not really great for long names and since we will be working with the Collector app on phones I would like to avoid it.

The advantage of that work-around is however that it is easy to implement.

Still I was hoping there might be another way.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

custom code for the user end...its a lot of work for such a tiny change.

Id just have the CV have both languages in the selection to the user... call it a day. (e.g. Field Dropdown has english and french as a selection).

e.g.  Fire Hydrant / bouche d'incendie   

0 Kudos