Distributed Collaboration - Guest Portal Access

01-24-2020 08:52 AM
MarkTryon4
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am looking to set up an Enterprise to Enterprise distributed collaboration in the near future. I was wondering if once the collaboration is set up between our two organizations, is it possible to set the guest's portal as my 'active portal' in ArcGIS Pro or Survey123 Connect and publish content directly to them?

Thanks!

- Mark

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Mark,

I think there may be some confusion between distributed collaborations and publishing. Publishing a service from ArcGIS Pro or Survey 123 Connect to portal is not dependent on having a distributed collaboration. The collaboration is essentially separate functionality that will allow you to share content between portals.

You could publish a service to one portal (A), share the services to the collaboration group. Then depending on your collaboration settings the service would be shared to other portal (B). How you connect to portal through ArcGIS Pro and Survey 123 Connect will not be changed by the collaboration.

About distributed collaboration—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and 10.7.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Thomas. 

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Thomas,

I've set up a collaboration between an ArcGIS Online and a Portal; AGOL is the host and Portal is the guest.

If I was to publish a survey to my Portal and share it with a collaboration group, would members of the host AGOL organization be able to edit/submit surveys from their end?

I've attempted this and found that I was able to share the survey from Portal to the collaboration group and see the survey form/feature layers in ArcGIS Online immediately. I was also able to log into my Survey123 field app using AGOL credentials and download the survey. When I attempted to submit the survey, I received the error "invalid token". Is there a way to configure settings in either AGOL/Portal so that this is possible?

We are just testing out our new Enterprise/Portal setup and I am attempting to do this as a proof of concept. I am admittedly a noobie at using Portal/Enterprise.

Thank you,

Erica

Erica
0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hi Erica Tefft

Is the collaboration workspace set to share as a reference or share as copy?

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson

Hi Thomas,

It is set to share as reference.

Erica
0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Erica Tefft‌,

Thanks for the additional information. When you share an item as a reference from portal to ArcGIS Online access to the referenced item is controlled by portal security. For example if you open a secured portal item shared as a reference to ArcGIS Online you will be prompted for portal credentials. When signing into to the Survey 123 field app with a collaborated survey the field app may be trying to pass an ArcGIS Online token. If the collaborated survey is secured I believe the field app would also need to provide a portal token. This may be why you are receiving an invalid token error message. 

If possible as a test I would recommend sharing the survey publicly in portal. Is anonymous access enabled for your portal? I will also test this workflow and get back to you with results.

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson

Hi Thomas Jones‌,

I did a test and made the survey public, however I am still unable to submit from the ArcGIS Online account that is part of the collaboration group (I get the same 'invalid token' error). I did also check the Portal settings and anonymous access is not enabled for my Portal.

I am curious...is this the correct way to go about this? Should the collaboration settings be configured differently to get this to work?

I am rebuilding a workflow that currently lives in ArcGIS Online (and works very well there). My goal is to re-create the survey in Portal where storage credits aren't an issue (this survey will grow pretty large w/ the number of features and attachments), but share it both to ArcGIS Online where all of my users live, and publicly so that others within my organization who do not have AGO accounts can also submit work order requests. Also within Portal, I would like to re-build some management tools that a select few AGO users can use and access to edit the survey data, and view the data (specifically a tabbed Story Map containing various Operations Dashboards that are configured to access the Survey form in edit mode). I could also leave these management tools in AGO, but reference the Portal survey data.

One aspect of this workflow that I have not tested is the two webhooks that I have built on my current survey in AGO; this adds additional complexity because one of the webhooks utilizes the ArcGIS Rest API - I have no idea if this is possible in Portal. I know there are limitations with webhooks, I just haven't gotten around to exploring these  yet.

If you have suggestions on how I should be configuring the Collaboration to work in the manner described above, that would be really helpful. Or, if you have suggestions on Portal settings that might need to be adjusted to allow this workflow to work, that would also be appreciated.

Thank you,

Erica

Erica
0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Erica Tefft‌,

After additional testing unfortunately I do not think it will possible to submit survey responses to collaborated survey shared as reference to ArcGIS Online. When you try to submit a response to the collaboration survey a request is made to the survey feature service. As you are signed in with ArcGIS Online credentials the Survey 123 Field App then appends an ArcGIS Online token.

The ArcGIS Online token is not valid to access the ArcGIS Server feature service even if the service is unsecured. This causes the 'ApplyEdits' call to the ArcGIS Server feature service to fail. If you were to use share as copy it would not be possible to edit the collaborated hosted feature service. You can still collaborate the survey feature service to ArcGIS Online for other uses (e.g. viewing, web map editing).

Thanks,

Thomas. 

erica_poisson

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the details and testing. Do you have a proper/recommended workflow for something like what I am trying to accomplish?

Thanks,

Erica

Erica
0 Kudos