Create an Imagery Layer with Caching

03-22-2022 08:34 AM
CynthiaKozma
Occasional Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro to create a raster dataset of our orthophotography (we don't have Image Server) to use in our Portal.  When I share the raster as a Web Layer, I have tried every configuration for Layer Drawing to get the most used areas cached and the least used parts of the county to use on demand caching.  I have tried using the 'Using tiles from a new cache', set the levels of detail for caching and then tell it to 'Cache manually on the server', with weird results.  When I zoom in and out at on the layer in Web App Builder, some of the photos will turn on, others will disappear, if I pan, others draw, other tiles disappear.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong in the set up to get it draw all of the photos in the view.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

@CynthiaKozma When we first started using a raster tile cache for orthophotos in 2009 we had similar problems trying to use cache on demand.  In the end our solution was to cache the entire orthophoto dataset at all scales.  It is a huge job for us because our jurisdiction, the province of New Brunswick, covers ~72,000 km^2.  This does help simplify the cache building process but it increases the time to generate the tiles. 

After the caching is completed you must do a lot of visual QC on the tiles and pan through all of your scale levels looking for missing tiles and other artifacts and then re-cache the affected areas / scales.  And repeat.  And Repeat...

Bernie.

0 Kudos
CynthiaKozma
Occasional Contributor II

I was trying to avoid this because of disk space.  But, I will definitely see if taking what I have cached, re-cache that area and try again works.  Thanks for the ideas!

0 Kudos