Can't See Server Data On ArcGIS Online Web App

08-18-2016 09:53 AM
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

I'm currently testing an ArcGIS Server (10.3) deployment. I've published a sample geodatabase and map as geodata and map services on the server. I've linked these services with our ArcGIS online account and created a web map and web app from them. My issue is this: I can view the data with attachments on the web app from the web browser on the server. If I view the same page on the web browser on other computers, I can't see the data. I have everything set in the server manager and on ArcGIS online to share with everyone(public). Is this an issue in the IIS manager on the Windows Server, or on the ArcGIS server itself? Currently our server is local to our network.

Web browser on the server:

Server Web Browser

Web browser on another computer on our network:

0 Kudos
22 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

My guess is it is still somethings that isn't setup quite right on the IIS side of things.  I'm surprised that from your home you can see it using the 6080 port, since usually IIS is set up as 80, and the 6080 is supposed to be for "internal" testing and/or administration of the ArcGIS Server (maybe other software uses 6080 too??)

Not that this will solve your issue, but you may be able to get more "Web dev" help in the future....any reason you are sticking with Flex and not switching to JavaScript and Web AppBuilder?  Flex user support will be dwindling since Flex isn't available for using on many mobile devices.  I still have internal Flex apps that I haven't converted, so totally understand if there is a reason...just so you are aware of newer (easier?  can be relative..) alternatives.

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

I think the issue here is that I'm bypassing IIS altogether and logging directly into the ArcGIS server when I access gis.<companyname>.com:6080/arcgis/rest/services. I can only log into the server this way from the server machine itself if I use our LAN IP http://192.168.1.11:6080/arcgis/rest/services. If I enter the WAN IP address or the .com domain name I mentioned, I can't get there from the server itself. I get a "site can't be reached" error. I can login to the ArcGIS server from ArcMap on other computers on our network and the computer at my house (not on our network). I'm using Flexviewer because I need to get something mocked up quickly. Eventually I'll probably use the Javascript API, but I don't have much experience with Javascript right now. Unfortunately, I can only load services into the Flexviewer on the server machine itself. The URLs that it generates all have the LAN IP address. Obviously I can't use that URL on a public website. I tried deleting the default website in IIS and creating a new one and reinstalling the web adaptor, but that didn't help. We followed Randall's instructions for setting up our router port rules, and it still didn't fix the problem. 

I still think the problem is that the .com domain name I have is not hosted locally. The FQDN of our server machine ends in .domain, not .com. I don't know why it was set up that way, and I don't really know if that matters. 

Anyway, thanks to everybody for the advice.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'll give one more shot at a suggestiong, but you might be best with one-on-one with tech support so they can look at the specifics.

My "full machine name" ....for the AGS server, NOT the IIS server is some thing like  AGSMACHINENAME.blah.state.local  but, the friendly friendlier version is AGSMACHINENAME  I can see this info if I look at the properties for the ArcGIS Server machine  (or thru   Control Panel\System and Security\System )

so to access, I would use

http:\\AGSMACHINENAME:6080\arcgis\rest\services

I would not include the  blah.state.local  and not use the web adaptor.

Make sure you are using the AGS server machine name and not the machine that IIS is installed on, if different machines.

EDIT:

btw I'm assuming that this statement is what you are trying to do with my response above...

think the issue here is that I'm bypassing IIS altogether

IF you are not trying to bypass IIS, that is when you would want to include your web adaptor name instead of the default "arcgis"

0 Kudos