Can't Connect ArcGIS Enterprise from Power BI

07-15-2021 12:33 PM
JingyanChen
New Contributor II

Hi there, I am trying to connect ArcGIS Enterprise in Power BI. When I select the ArcGIS Enterprise, enter the Enterprise Portal URL, then click sign in. It doesn't pop up any sign in window. My power BI version is Feb 2021. I have creator privileges in ArcGIS Enterprise Portal and created dashboard. Appreciate any help. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Do you have the user type license assigned to your Enterprise user?

What is authentication method being used within Enterprise?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JingyanChen
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response George. My user type is Creator. My role is Publisher. The authentication method is Integrated Windows Authentication. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

IWA is not supported for Power BI:

ArcGIS for Power BI supports built-in authentication methods when using ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise in Power BI and Power BI Desktop in an online environment. The map visualization does not support IWA and PKI/Smartcard authentication in any Power BI environment.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/power-bi/get-started/supported-env.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_142F3EB01F9D4546B8B95...

Also make sure that you meet the requirements here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/power-bi/get-started/supported-env.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_2E77582CD0A54DFE911C0...

--- George T.
JingyanChen
New Contributor II

That become very interesting now. Two people from our IT group can sign in ArcGIS portal from power BI. We checked again and again, can't figure out what cause the issue.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you use the Browser, it will work. But the Desktop Version of Power BI is not supported. Its a DNA level issue with Power BI Desktop that we're hoping our friends at Microsoft will look to fix in the future. 

JingyanChen
New Contributor II

Hi Andrew, what do you exactly refer to "If you use the Browser, it will work."? Thanks, Jingyan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@JingyanChen Power BI Desktop does not support IWA, but if you publish your .pbix file to a workspace in the the Power BI service, you can open the report in app.powerbi.com. When working with Power BI via app.powerbi.com, IWA can get picked up.

This is more of a workaround to the current limitations of Power BI Desktop's lack of support for IWA. The team at Microsoft is working on solutions to this, but we don't anticipate a fix anytime soon as it is a major change. 

0 Kudos
JingyanChen
New Contributor II

Excellent. Greatly appreciate the explanation.

ShepardSorrell
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew,  Have you heard any updates on this issue?

0 Kudos