Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Server 11.1: accent not properly encoded when "returnAdvancedSymbols"

Jump to solution
05-10-2023 07:49 AM
NicolasGIS
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

Since I upgraded from ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 to ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1, many of my ArcGIS Field maps are broken.

NicolasGIS_0-1683733189550.png

In Field Maps, I have the following error:

[LOADING] Layer (Arrêts d'urgence AUG) failed to load with error: Error Domain=com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error Code=2 "Invalid argument" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=UTF8 contains invalid characters, NSLocalizedDescription=Invalid argument., Additional Message=UTF8 contains invalid characters}

When debugging with Fiddler, I noticed that the following request:

https://agsserver.company.com/arcgis/rest/services/MyServer/FeatureServer/3?f=json&returnAdvancedSym...

returns badly encoded accent letters (I am French):

NicolasGIS_0-1683729539933.png

The funny thing is that if I remove 'returnAdvancedSymbols' parameter, it is clean:

NicolasGIS_1-1683729587546.png

I made a test with an ArcGIS Server 11.0 and even if 'returnAdvancedSymbols' parameter is specified, the response is properly encoded.

I also made a test to bypass WebAdaptor 11.1 thinking it might be the culprit but I am getting the same poorly encoded reply from ArcGIS Server.

Thanks !

NB: The error is from IOS FieldMaps. On android it does not crash but I have this weird � character instead

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

hello folks,

Thanks a lot for your patience and understanding. I'm happy to share that we were able to release a fix for this issue as a patch.

Here is the url to the patch:
https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/arcgis-server-11-1-map-service-and-custom-data-f...

please let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks

Tanu

View solution in original post

11 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

It appears to be this bug that you are running into. We will try to resolve this as soon as we can.

BUG-000158047

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply @TanuHoque.

I will ask support to attach my case to this one. Out of curiosity, what’s the title ?

Also what is the ETA for the patch ? Hours, days, weeks, months ? My users can’t go on the field right now and I would like to know whether it is worth modifying all my domains, symbology and feature services for critical services like fire fighters ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@NicolasGIS 

here is the title of the bug:
"Encoding in Response (effected non ascii-characters) is not correct, on 2nd request againts MapService with returnAdvancedSymbols=true"

About the ETA, unfortunately I don't have anything to share at this point 😞 Thanks for letting us know that this is very critical for you. I will try out best to get a resolution as soon as we can.

As for a patch request, please reach out to support to request for one. That is beyond me.

Sorry that I don't have any good news for you... but I will keep you updated as we make progress.

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your reply @TanuHoque .

True, I had noticed that first request is correct: I had thought the problem was solved after republishing 😅

0 Kudos
LiisiPark
Regular Contributor

We run into the same issue. Is there any hope to fix te issue soon?

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Frequent Contributor

Hello @LiisiPark ,

I personally asked for a patch on MyESRI.  The BUG reported me yesterday that it will be fixed at 11.2. If you want a patch for 11.1, I understood you should ask to ESRI support to be attached to this BUG and then you can also ask for a patch on MyESRI. The more people complain, the more we get a chance to get  a patch from what I understood.

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

hi everyone,

I just wanted to provide an update here.

We are investigating with the intention to patch. Hopefully it will be released soon to all of you. When it does, I will update this thread too.

We appreciate your patience and bring this issue to our attention in the first place.

Thanks a lot

schenardi
Regular Contributor

This patch is absolutely urgent for us as well. 

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

hello folks,

Thanks a lot for your patience and understanding. I'm happy to share that we were able to release a fix for this issue as a patch.

Here is the url to the patch:
https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/arcgis-server-11-1-map-service-and-custom-data-f...

please let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks

Tanu