ArcGIS 10.2 Upgrade Direct - Non Cloud Builder Didn't Work

09-12-2013 04:03 PM
DanielMcAlister
New Contributor II
Has anyone successfully upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2 on AWS manually? Not using Cloud builder? In the manual if not using cloud builder it advises doing a "update directly" I checked with Esri and they said yeh, upgrading using the 10.2 software like any other non cloud non AMI setup was the way to go. It hasn't worked, it's not functioning, there is a windows service called arcgis running but I can't contact it or manager. The log kicks out "Failed to unregister Amazon EC2 instance from the site", any ideas appreciated. - Dan
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PeterBuwembo
Esri Contributor
Has anyone successfully upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2 on AWS manually? Not using Cloud builder? In the manual if not using cloud builder it advises doing a "update directly" I checked with Esri and they said yeh, upgrading using the 10.2 software like any other non cloud non AMI setup was the way to go. It hasn't worked, it's not functioning, there is a windows service called arcgis running but I can't contact it or manager. The log kicks out "Failed to unregister Amazon EC2 instance from the site", any ideas appreciated. - Dan

Yes, upgrading the ArcGIS server instance which was created from the AWS directly is possible.
Run the 10.2 install on top of the 10.1 SP1 install.

Before upgrading: You need to know the arcgis service account password

As soon as the upgrade is complete, you will notice that the server name changed to �??LOCALHOST�?� and the machine will not start automatically.
To correct the issue

Machine name: is "LOCALHOST"; In "New machine name", enter the private IP of the instance. Ex. 10.233.15.141. You can find this value by typing "ipconfig" in a command line window. The IPv4 Address is the private IP. User can also get this value in AWS console by clicking on the instance and getting the "Private IPs" value;

• 3  Click on "Rename";

• 4  Re-start ArcGIS Server Windows service.

You should be able to login to ArcGIS server manager or REST 10.2 and see all the existing services.
I hope this information is helpful.
NOTE: The issue where the hostname changes to LOCALHOST is a known issue. NIM094625
0 Kudos
RachelS_
New Contributor III
I spoke with someone at ESRI and he said that a direct upgrade is only possible on instances which were not initially launched using Cloud Builder.
0 Kudos