Allocating more space on SQL Server for an enterprise GDB?

Jump to solution
06-08-2017 09:57 AM
Brownschuh
Occasional Contributor II

Currently our organization has 2 databases on our SQL server; one housing vector data and the other housing raster.  If I log into SQL management studio and check the properties for each of the databases, I can see total size as well as available space.  Vector appears to have consumed half of the space available whereas Raster is almost all used up; this has me a bit worried. 

Is there a way to allocate more space for an enterprise geodatabase?  Is this even possible in SQL management studio?  

At the moment we are not adding any additional files to the Raster database, but later down the line we will probably acquire more aerial imagery/lidar/etc.  Just trying to prepare for the future the best I can.

P.S. We are currently using SQL 2012 (11.0.2218) and ArcGIS v10.4.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Scott,

Yes, you can do this in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). 

Increase the Size of a Database | Microsoft Docs 

Also, for the Raster database you may want to consider using mosaic datasets.  This will save you a lot of storage as the mosaic dataset simply references the imagery from disk rather than loading into the database.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Scott,

Yes, you can do this in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). 

Increase the Size of a Database | Microsoft Docs 

Also, for the Raster database you may want to consider using mosaic datasets.  This will save you a lot of storage as the mosaic dataset simply references the imagery from disk rather than loading into the database.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would second Jake's suggestion about moving the raster to a mosaic database if possible.  Much less overhead and easier to manager.  However, if you are going to publisher services directly from the mosaic, you will need Image Server (extension, pre 10.5) besides the core ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have available space on your partition, these instructions should help you to allocate additional space with SQL Server Management Studio.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175890(v=sql.105).aspx

Brownschuh

Ok cool, I'm glad to hear it's possible to increase the size of a database.  Going to give those links a look at and see what happens. 

Honestly I am a little surprised that we've used up as much space as we have because we currently use mosaic datasets for all our imagery.

0 Kudos
Brownschuh

So I checked out both of those links that Jake & Randall provided ... it worked! 

Honestly I thought the process would be a bit more involved then simply right clicking the database, selecting properties, putting a new size value in, and hitting OK.  Not that I'm complaining, I'm just happy it was easy procedure.

0 Kudos