I'm having an issue with ArcGIS Server (10.3.1) where it wont cache the east side of Canada.
The map projection is ..
The extent used is pretty much something like the red line. I've played around with a few variations (using province polygons, changing the projection) nothing seems to fix the problem.
Yes, we have the data and it exists. Everything looks fine in the MXD before publishing.
On a side note, I've also noticed a bug where the cache settings do not get saved. If I go back in and change it again, everything seems to change except the "Update cache automatically" setting, which always switches back to automatic every time I save the changes.
Just as a test, I would stop the service, rename the cache directory for this service then edit the properties for the service again (may need to start the service back up to see the cache properties). See if that makes a different. If it rolls right back into auto-creation, you may want to recreate (delete old service, recreate new...or stop other and recreate with a different name for testing). Then try it again. You can always move/rename etc the cache you've already created so you don't need to lose that time.
A couple other things to check....Refreshing the cache status
And making sure you temp folder, typically on the c: drive, isn't running out of space. This isn't an issue as much since 10.1, but the folder that used to fill up on me in 10.1 was the
\users\<ArcGISSOC...now probably AGS admin>\Appdata\Local\Temp
Just a few things to check.
I put my two cents in to a similar issue over on this post: https://community.esri.com/thread/62725?sr=inbox&ru=153770. My issues were solved by doing a repair geometry on each layer in the FGDB source for the cache mxd. There weren't many errors, but the auto-fix (including deleting null-geometry features) has made a difference.
Apologies for jumping in so late but here are my inputs in case this is still an issue:
1) From one of the screenshots above it appears that you are using the AGOL tiling scheme, could you confirm and tell us what your min-max scales used are?
2) What does your Cache Status tool report? If you could post a screenshot of this it would also help.
3) Is this an single machine ArcGIS Server site or multi machine?
4) Could you initiate the cache again (from Catalog> Connect to your ArcGIS Server> Right click on service> Manage Cache> Manage Tiles, and then choose to recreate all tiles but only for the empty scale levels as reported from the Cache Status (from point 2 above).
Old thread, just in case someone comes across this problem - maybe this will help. I had a similar issue when attempting to cache a parcels layer. Just like your case, there was no error message. I am pretty sure that tech support figured out that there were too many vertices - server could not cache the entire layer. I wonder if this has been added to the documentation by now. A useful test might be to reduce the number of vertices drastically then attempt to create the cache again.