A generic tool to convert multiple mdf files to gdb,

Jump to solution
04-09-2017 11:20 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

A generic tool to convert multiple mdf files to gdb,

To enjoy multiusers editing environment, our data is stored in mdf files (enterprise). However, when it comes to publishing, we convert the mdf to gdb in order to gain some performance as the services that read from gdb are much faster than those read from mdf. We are wondering if there is a generic tool that can convert multiple mdf files to gdb.

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
38 Replies
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Ahmad,

The tool is working perfectly. It is of great value.

Can we go one step further? How can we synchronize the mdf folder to gdb folder without the need to stop the ArcGIS Server? Having the ArcGIS Server stopped means that our online App is down!

Or how can we make this tool really smart! Any edits on the mdf folder can be transferred to the gdb in the real time! Full synchronization between mdf folder to gdb folder

Thank you

Jamal

Jamal Numan
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jamal,

Can we go one step further? How can we synchronize the mdf folder to gdb folder without the need to stop the ArcGIS Server? Having the ArcGIS Server stopped means that our online App is down!

Yes you can, if you truncate the existing tables in the gdb and append the data from the mdf. the downside of this approach is that it doesn't  count for schema changes, if you added/ deleted a  field in mdf you still have to add it manually to the gdb. I still can develop a new tool that automates the whole process ( updates the schema and the data ), but you will still have to stop the service at a certain point when you change the table schema.

Regards,

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Very much appreciated Ahmad.

We are working on the concept of having zero down time for our Geoportal. The left issue is that we still need to stop ArcGIS Server as we transfer data from mdf to gdb.

Not sure if we can ever have a tool that performs transferring (or more precisely full synchronizing) the data from mdf to gdb without the need to stop the ArcGIS Server.

Jamal Numan
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Not sure, Ahmad, if you got the time to look at this issue

thanks

Jamal Numan
AhmadSALEH1

Hi Jamal,

This will take some time as I need to take into consideration all scenarios and workflows in your environment. and this might limit your overall process flexibility. 

My recommendation is to try use FME to automate the process, ChangeDetector can do most of the job, but before that, you need to check the schema and make the necessary schema changes to your feature class to match sde version. Then you can publish it with FME server and set a time period to rerun the process.

ChangeDetector 

FME Memorandum: Read Schemas from Database with Schema (Any Format) Reader 

Thanks,

Ahmad

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This is fantastic Ahmad. We have been struggling with this since ages. It worked with me like a charm.

By the way, is there any reason for which the GlobalID field is not transferred from mdf to gbd?

Jamal Numan
AhmadSALEH1

Hi Jamal, 

Mainly the Tool is  using "Copy features (data management)" . So I tried to Copy any F.C using Copy Features tool  and it failed to move the GlobleID's too,  it seems to be that there is  a limitation from ESRI (FAQ: Which data loading scenarios will preserve Global ID values? )

But the good news is that the tool "Copy  (data management)" can move the GlobleID's so give it a try and let me know the results then I can edit the Tool and send it back.

Thanks

PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

The Create Replica tool may help you to export the data to FGDB 

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Panagiotis Papadopoulos,

The out of the box “create replica” tool is not as generic as the tool developed by Ahmad due to the facts below:

1.The out of the box “create replica” tool has nothing to do when it comes to transferring MULTIPLE mdf (Microsoft SQL Server Database) to their corresponding esri gdb files

2.It will never transfer the new created features classes (layers) from mdf to gdb

3.It will never transfer the new created fields in features classes from mdf to gdb

4.It might fail in case heavy edits are applied in the mdf

I think that Ahmad deserves an award for this tool. What do you think?

Jamal Numan