Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to add WMTS to Map Viewer (new one)

Jump to solution
03-22-2023 07:04 AM
MichaelNüßlein
Occasional Contributor

We want to add a WMTS service (https://sgx.geodatenzentrum.de/wmts_basemapde) within Map Viewer. We are currently working with Portal 10.9.1.

We have added https://sgx.geodatenzentrum.de as trusted server. And we can add the WMTS as content. But using the same WMTS url in Map Viewer brings up a service error "The layer cannot be added to the map."  The same WMTS url used with  Portal 11.0 Map Viewer works also fine.

Whats wrong here?

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Gewobari
New Contributor

Hi @MichaelNüßlein,
we have the same problem and talked to our ESRI consultant today. He told us, that adding OGC services in the new map viewer is not yet supported on Enterprise 10.9.1 and will only be possible with Enterprise 11.0 or higher.
I was a bit surprised by this statement, because the online documentation for 10.9.1 provides instructions on how to add OGC services and makes no mention of the fact that this is only possible with 11.0 and higher.

This doesn't solve your/our problem, but at least we know that it's not the fault of your/our approach.

View solution in original post

DavidDodds2
Occasional Contributor

The workaround I use in our 10.9.1 Enterprise Portal is to:

1. Open the map in Classic Viewer
  2. Add the WMTS layer(s)
  3. Save
  4. Re-open in the new viewer
  5. Save

So far that has worked well for us. I suggest doing this process first thing to avoid incompatibilities when switching between the new and classic versions.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
IhabHassan
Esri Contributor

Hi @MichaelNüßlein 

I was able to add the layer to map-viewer classic in an Enterprise 10.9.1.

IhabHassan_0-1679607259945.png

IhabHassan_1-1679607323894.png

Regards
Ihab
MichaelNüßlein
Occasional Contributor

Ihab,

yes it works with map-viewer classic, but i want to use then new MapViewer. Can you add the WMTS with new Map Viewer too? ESRI recommends to use the new Map Viewer insead ov Map Viewer classic

0 Kudos
Gewobari
New Contributor

Hi @MichaelNüßlein,
we have the same problem and talked to our ESRI consultant today. He told us, that adding OGC services in the new map viewer is not yet supported on Enterprise 10.9.1 and will only be possible with Enterprise 11.0 or higher.
I was a bit surprised by this statement, because the online documentation for 10.9.1 provides instructions on how to add OGC services and makes no mention of the fact that this is only possible with 11.0 and higher.

This doesn't solve your/our problem, but at least we know that it's not the fault of your/our approach.

PeterHodkinson
Esri Contributor

Hi @MichaelNüßlein 

I'm afraid the ability to add OGC WMTS/WMS/WFS layers from within the new Map Viewer is not available in Portal 10.9.1. It's only possible to add these in Map Viewer Classic at that version. As a workaround, it should be possible to add the WMTS using Map Viewer Classic, save the webmap, then open that webmap and view the WMTS using Map Viewer.

The following is taken from the Portal 10.9.1 documentation:  

• OGC WFS, WMS, and WMTS layers are supported in Map Viewer Classic.
  • Maps that contain OGC WFS, WMS, and WMTS layers can be added to Map Viewer for display purposes only.

This limitation was addressed and the capability is available in both Map Viewer and Map Viewer Classic in Portal 11.0.

From the Portal 11.0 documentation

• OGC WFS, WMS, and WMTS layers are supported in Map Viewer and Map Viewer Classic.

I hope this is helpful

SamJakson
Occasional Contributor

This still doesn't seem to work in AGOL, i can only add a wmts using map viewer classic - is this going to be updated?

0 Kudos
PeterHodkinson
Esri Contributor

Hi @SamJakson this isn't a limitation I'm aware of in ArcGIS Online - most WMTS services work fine for me in Map Viewer.

I suspect it may be a specific problem with the WMTS you're using. Are you able to provide any more information on that?

0 Kudos
SamJakson
Occasional Contributor

Sure, I've tried with two - the OS Maps API WMTS and APGB Aerial imagery WMTS.

Both can we added to ArcMap and Map Viewer Classic without issue, but not the new Map Viewer/ArcGIS Pro. 

0 Kudos
PeterHodkinson
Esri Contributor

Thanks Sam.

If you're able to I'd suggest raising a technical support case for these issues please. We've seen a few similar problems reported recently and are currently investigating whether there might be a new defect affecting these specific services.

It's certainly not due to a design limitation in ArcGIS Online / ArcGIS Pro (as there is for OGC layers in Portal 10.9.1)

0 Kudos
DavidDodds2
Occasional Contributor

The workaround I use in our 10.9.1 Enterprise Portal is to:

1. Open the map in Classic Viewer
  2. Add the WMTS layer(s)
  3. Save
  4. Re-open in the new viewer
  5. Save

So far that has worked well for us. I suggest doing this process first thing to avoid incompatibilities when switching between the new and classic versions.