Select to view content in your preferred language

Downloading Data from Enterprise Portal to Local Machine (w/Viewer User)

06-06-2022 10:41 AM
WalidAlmasri1
Occasional Contributor

Hello, new user here of ArcGIS Enterprise Portal (10.8.x) and I have a few questions about exporting data either from the layer in Portal or from a Site.

Let's say we have an Enterprise Portal and now we want to have an outside organization log in and use an account we create to download certain data to display in a map for us that they are working on.  That user would have no privileges (viewer only) but access to a group to which these layers are shared to so it can be easily found and downloaded.  

In testing, I am finding out that Enterprise Portal users (in general) cannot actually download any information to their PC like you can if the data was shared on AGOL, for example.  If a user can download from the Portal, it first saves the data to their content, then they can download it locally - meaning the user needs a Creator User Type at a minimum, something we don't want to specify.  I thought maybe creating a Site would fix this, but it does not.  You still need a Creator User Type.

How can I give access to this account, which is set to a Viewer only User Type, to use our Portal as a 'hub' to download our data to their machines?  Is my only option to do this in AGOL for them download it directly to their machines?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

You could try making the user a Creator type or possibly any non-Viewer type, then assign it the Viewer Role. If that does not work, you might want to play around with Custom roles to assign to the user to only grant the needed access.

User Types, Roles, and Privileges 

0 Kudos