shut down and start up AWS portal

Jump to solution
11-08-2020 06:00 PM
DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

What is the correct sequence to shut-down and then start-up ArcGIS, Portal and the Datastore on AWS?

Is there a script that will handle it so we can close down at 7pm and start-up at 7am, for example?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

but when the Enterprise configuration is HA with multiple machines, you need to be more careful.

If a Primary Portal or Data Store machine is taken down, the Standby will try to take on that role. If the timing goes bad, you may get "split-brain" problems when the machines are brought back up. i.e. two servers both thinking they are "Primary".

You need to check manually which machine is Primary and which Standby, then ensure the shutdown order is:

• Portal Standby
  • Portal Primary
  • Hosting Server(s)
  • Any other Federated Server(s)
  • Data Store Standby
  • Data Store Primary

then reverse for Startup

• Data Store Primary
  • Data Store Standby
  • Hosting Server(s)
  • Portal Primary
  • Portal Standby

If this is to be scripted - you could call the REST endpoints to find the current status of the machines in each tier.

There is also a need to wait for the individual processes (Windows Services) and associated GIS services to stop / start completely between each step

View solution in original post

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi @DeanHowell1 

In your particular case, where you have each tier separated and with multiple machines, each running one of the pieces - then yes - just shutting down the machine is fine.

On startup, the windows services will restart themselves as well.

The Lambda functions for shutdown and startup do need to be updated to include the specific order and some wait times. There are known problems when two machines in a tier (e.g. Portal) start at the same time.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Travis_Esri
Esri Contributor

Good question! There is no recommended or necessary order to start/stop up ArcGIS Enterprise. The only caveat being that in order to log in to a federated server, Portal must be running. If you are starting/stopping them all at the same time then this really wont affect your situation. I am sure there are scripts that will accomplish this goal but they will not be Esri-specific. I am sure you could create a scheduled task to stop/start the service. Outside of that I am sure that it would be possible to start/stop the whole server(s) via AWS and its console/API. Any documentation you may find is going to be from Amazon/Microsoft as starting/stopping programs is not Esri-specific. 

Hope this helps!

Travis

DeanHowell1

Thanks @Travis_Esri , very much appreciate you taking the time reply. 

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

but when the Enterprise configuration is HA with multiple machines, you need to be more careful.

If a Primary Portal or Data Store machine is taken down, the Standby will try to take on that role. If the timing goes bad, you may get "split-brain" problems when the machines are brought back up. i.e. two servers both thinking they are "Primary".

You need to check manually which machine is Primary and which Standby, then ensure the shutdown order is:

• Portal Standby
  • Portal Primary
  • Hosting Server(s)
  • Data Store Standby
  • Data Store Primary

then reverse for Startup

• Data Store Primary
  • Data Store Standby
  • Hosting Server(s)
  • Portal Primary
  • Portal Standby

If this is to be scripted - you could call the REST endpoints to find the current status of the machines in each tier.

There is also a need to wait for the individual processes (Windows Services) and associated GIS services to stop / start completely between each step

DeanHowell1

Thanks @DavidHoy and yes this is exactly what needs to be done so I do appreciate the extra information. Now to figure out the coding part 🙂

0 Kudos
DeanHowell1

Thanks again @DavidHoy

Just another question, do you need to worry about shutting down the services on the individual machines first or is it fine just to shot down the ASW machines in the order you suggested in your response above?

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi @DeanHowell1 

In your particular case, where you have each tier separated and with multiple machines, each running one of the pieces - then yes - just shutting down the machine is fine.

On startup, the windows services will restart themselves as well.

The Lambda functions for shutdown and startup do need to be updated to include the specific order and some wait times. There are known problems when two machines in a tier (e.g. Portal) start at the same time.

DiegoLlamasOlivares
Occasional Contributor

Hello Travis,

I have implemented an Enterprise in  a single machine in AWS.  I am doing some test with this 10.7.1 Enterprise, and after this i shutdown the machine in order Amazon do not charge me for a machine i do not use. 

But for some reason, everytime i turn of the VM, or I stop instance from AWS console, ArcGIS Enterprise get corrupted and I need to recreate my insulation again. I have tried even stom Portal, server and datastore services before turn off the VM or stop instance, but the problem continues. 

Portal1.PNG Error I get from Portal

portal2.PNG

Error I get from server when I restart instance

portal3.PNG

and Data Store seems like never was configured with Server.

Any idea why it happend?

Thanks,

Diego Llamas

DeanHowell1

Does anyone know how to code this using AWS Lambda?

0 Kudos