Select to view content in your preferred language

Portal for ArcGIS, managing feature layers

11-22-2019 09:49 AM
FlorentBigirimana
New Contributor III

Hi,

Our organisation has recently migrated to ArcGIS Enterprise form ArcGIS Online.  I have publisher some layers to be used with collector app, from a registered database (SQL Enterprise geodatabse). The layers ends on the portal (federated with the server) as feature layers (not hosted). As the owner of the features I would like to add some control  like  keeping the track of who created and last updated features, setting the  kind of editing allowed and restrict the view of features to the user who has created them. From some research I have found that some of the settings need to be done on the database side but I wonder how. Any one has any Idea about this ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
FlorentBigirimana
New Contributor III
FredMitchell
Occasional Contributor

@DerekLaw this is a bit of an old thread but somewhat relevant to what I'm trying to figure out. I'm curious if you have any info on how to trace back from portal to where in the enterprise geodatabase registered data is living. I just started at a new org and there has been some turnover. We have a bunch of items in portal that are not hosted but rather reference data in an enterprise geodatabase. Is there a way to reverse engineer or see what layers in the EGDB these items in portal are referencing and on what servers? Any help or support documentation you can provide would be so appreciated! Thanks!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @FredMitchell,

Is there a way to reverse engineer or see what layers in the EGDB these items in portal are referencing and on what servers?

Which portal items do you mean, when you say "items in portal"? Do you mean web maps? These dev samples might meet your needs,

Hope this helps.

FredMitchell
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @DerekLaw both of these tips are helpful! I'll experiment with them but hopefully this gets us started. As far as items go I'd like to be able to trace back from the feature layer or web map to the map service to the registered data in the sde. Right now I go into server manager and I can see where the service was published from but if that aprx or mxd is no longer accessible is there another way to find where the registered data that it's referencing is located? Ultimately, I'd like to have a spreadsheet that lists all the sde's and their feature layers or datasets, the map service REST URL, and the associated items in Portal and their service IDs. I may not be describing this perfectly but basically having some way to track where everything is and how it's dependent on each other. Hope that makes sense!

0 Kudos