Portal for ArcGIS, managing feature layers

11-22-2019 09:49 AM
FlorentBigirimana
New Contributor III

Hi,

Our organisation has recently migrated to ArcGIS Enterprise form ArcGIS Online.  I have publisher some layers to be used with collector app, from a registered database (SQL Enterprise geodatabse). The layers ends on the portal (federated with the server) as feature layers (not hosted). As the owner of the features I would like to add some control  like  keeping the track of who created and last updated features, setting the  kind of editing allowed and restrict the view of features to the user who has created them. From some research I have found that some of the settings need to be done on the database side but I wonder how. Any one has any Idea about this ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Florent,

> As the owner of the features I would like to add some control  like  keeping the track of who created and last updated features, setting the  kind of editing allowed and restrict the view of features to the user who has created them.

Controlling editing access and enabling editor tracking is set at the feature layer level. For your registered feature services with Portal, you can set these properties for each feature layer

Manage hosted feature layers—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
FlorentBigirimana
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

Tank you for you reply. Unfortunately I used to do so with hosted feature layer with ArcGIS online. This time with the portal, the feature is not hosted but registered with my database. Just a little background , I have published the feature with ArcMap (10.7) with a connection to ArcGIS server.  Some screenshot are attached here and hope that they make my situation a little bit clear

0 Kudos
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Florent Bigirimana,

Based off of the information you've provided above, I understand that you're not working with Hosted Feature Services, rather Feature Services that come from your enterprise geodatabase. 

You can enable editor tracking on a feature class level within the Catalog Pane in ArcMap. Here is a quick workflow:

• Launch ArcMap/ArcCatalog
  • Expand your Catalog Pane and expand your Database Connection
  • Find the Feature Class that your Feature Service references and right click > Manage > Enable Editor Tracking.

One thing that I'm not sure of, however, is if you'll have to republish the Feature Class after you've made this change. As a test, I'd recommend enabling Editor Tracking then create a point in Portal for ArcGIS using that Feature Service. Do you notice an entry for the user that made the change? If not, I'd say you should either republish this service or overwrite your existing service after the change has been made.

Cheers,

Joe

FlorentBigirimana
New Contributor III

Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. This solves the issue about editor/creator tracking.

However the problem about the right of viewing user own features is still an issue. Lets assume we do have many fieldworkers creating and editing features and I want to avoid a situation where one creates a features an another one delete it. 

Thank

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Florent,

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of the office on vacation.

> Lets assume we do have many fieldworkers creating and editing features and I want to avoid a situation where one creates a features an another one delete it. 

At the feature layer level, you can set permissions so users will only see the features they've created; you could also set it so users can only edit the features they've created. Please review the link I referenced previously.

Another approach: you could leverage feature layer views,

Create hosted feature layer views—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Derek,

Do hosted feature layer views work with feature services published from an enterprise geodatabase?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Marc,

> Do hosted feature layer views work with feature services published from an enterprise geodatabase?

EDIT: I confirmed that this is not possible. However, you can publish several different feature services from the same data (which is basically the same thing).

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
FlorentBigirimana
New Contributor III

Dear Derek, 

This is very clear. However, once I publish  a layer on the side of the portal form a registered geodatabase it comes as feature layer but does not show the option of the settings I am talking about (Just as it should be when it a hosted layer). Do you mean that the hosted feature layer and a non hosted feature layer should behave the same way on a Portal ? 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Florent,

> Do you mean that the hosted feature layer and a non hosted feature layer should behave the same way on a Portal ? 

No, they are different. Hosted feature layers will have more options on their item page that non-hosted feature layers. I checked with the feature services team and you manage access to the data in non-hosted feature layers in the enterprise geodatabase tier.

> Lets assume we do have many fieldworkers creating and editing features and I want to avoid a situation where one creates a features an another one delete it. 

I believe you can set edit permissions at the enterprise geodatabase tier,

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos