Modify url for a federated server?

Jump to solution
06-08-2021 08:04 AM
AllenScully2
New Contributor III

We have a server that was successfully federated with our Portal site, but it appears to have been done incorrectly (even though it did federate - validation gives strong warnings).  So we need to update the URL of the federated server in Portal.

Basically, we federated it like so:

https://server.domain/arcgis/rest/services

BUT - that leads to some weird URLs for services published there - they end up with an extra /rest/services/ in the URL.

So we need to modify the properties of the federated server in Portal to not have the /rest/services

I cannot find anywhere in the Portal settings GUI or PortalAdmin pages to do this.  

Thanks -

Allen

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

There is not a way to modify the federation URL, without unfederating the server and refederating using the correct URL.  All services published on the server currently will have to be republished as well, to pick up the change in URLs.

View solution in original post

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You can update both the Services URL and the Admin URL via the Sharing API without unfederating/re-federating:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/edit-portal-services-url/m-p/430617/highli...

However, as @ReeseFacendini indicates, all existing services will have the incorrect URL. You can also edit the URL for each service via the item details, which can be scripted or done manually.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

There is not a way to modify the federation URL, without unfederating the server and refederating using the correct URL.  All services published on the server currently will have to be republished as well, to pick up the change in URLs.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You will have the services from when you initially federated the server so you will need to delete them.  In my dev environment the federation did not go as planned originally and I had to unfederate and refederate which resulted in 2 sets of services in Portal.  Use the date stamp to help delete the services from the original federation that was done incorrectly.

0 Kudos
AllenScully2
New Contributor III

Thanks Reese - 

Just so I understand the unfederation impacts (I know unfederating carries many risks and warnings) - basically the services will remain on the ArcServer machine - so they can be used through the standard REST URL still (not routing through Portal), but the map image/feature layers from those services will just be removed from Portal- correct?  Or will the items already added to Portal via federation remain?

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

The items will remain on the ArcGIS Server, but I can't guarantee that they will work after unfederating (I would check the services to make sure of that).  Also Portal may retain an entry for the items, and those entries will need to be deleted if they are still there.

0 Kudos
AllenScully2
New Contributor III

Thanks both - 

This is a Test server without too much critical stuff going on, so we can live with any impacts and clean up needed.  

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You can update both the Services URL and the Admin URL via the Sharing API without unfederating/re-federating:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/edit-portal-services-url/m-p/430617/highli...

However, as @ReeseFacendini indicates, all existing services will have the incorrect URL. You can also edit the URL for each service via the item details, which can be scripted or done manually.

0 Kudos
AllenScully2
New Contributor III

Thanks Jonathan - this worked really well, so far it seems to fix everything we needed to do.

0 Kudos
JacobWeber
New Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

I am trying to access the Sharing API as described in these posts.  I am having trouble with the URL to access it and/or being sure I am logged in as an Administrator.  I am logged into the Portal Administrator Directory as an administrator when I try the Sharing API URL, is that sufficient to pass on the credentials?  When I try the URL like so: https://machine.domain.local:7443/arcgis/sharing/rest , the page says ArcGIS Portal Directory but I only see a link for the API Reference.

Thanks for any help you can give. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Your Portal Rest API is disabled. You'll need to either enable it, or construct the request to update the URL manually using Python, Postman, or some other means.