ArcGIS Server backup fails

05-11-2020 01:44 PM
stevecater1
Occasional Contributor

When I run an ArcGIS Server backup I get this error message:

{"code":500,"messages":["Export operation failed. Unsupported Image Type"],"status":"error"}

The export fails every time. This is a federated AGS/Portal deployment. Has anyone seen this error before?

This happens in AGS 10.7.1

0 Kudos
22 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You may have a corrupt thumbnail. Do all thumbnails appear valid when looking at them via My Content or Manager?

0 Kudos
stevecater1
Occasional Contributor

All the services are hosted and there is just a default thumbnail. It's like that on all of our sites.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

What about from My Content? Do they look correct? A recent bug came in with a similar error:

BUG-000130541 - Pink thumbnails created by BUG-000129503 will lead webgisdr tool to fail at later versions with message: {"code":500,"messages":["Export operation failed. Unsupported Image Type"],"status":"error"} after upgrading Enterprise from 10.6.1 to a newer version

The problem will occur if you create a backup using the Administrator API as well. You could look into watching what Server does during exportSite using ProcMon. Set a filter for the arcgisinput folder and the last service accessed by the Server's javaw.exe process that contains a valid thumbnail. The next one, (listed alphabetically in the Admin API), maybe has the corrupt one.

stevecater1
Occasional Contributor

What thumbnail? The thumbnail in the portal content directory or the thumbnail in the arcgisinput folder?

Thumbnail here:

D:\arcgisprod\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\Hosted\USGS_ProspectsMines_USA.FeatureServer\extracted\esriinfo\thumbnail

Thumbnail here used in Content of Portal:

D:\arcgisportal\content\items\4ce7873919924f398b0981a693235a26\esriinfo\thumbnail

Thanks, I also have a premium support ticket open on this issue.    Esri Case #02534301 - Export AGS SIte fails.

0 Kudos
stevecater1
Occasional Contributor

Also would the thumbnail look pink if it is corrupt?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I think the thumbnail would only look pink in a specific scenario (publishing from Pro 2.5 to Portal 10.6.1).

0 Kudos
stevecater1
Occasional Contributor

Or is it the thumbnail that is supposed to be in the Services folder:

example:

D:\arcgisprod\config-store\services\Hosted\Rivers.FeatureServer\esriinfo

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The error returned when the thumbnail is pink, (which indicates it's corrupt somehow) is the same one you're getting when trying to export. If you weren't at 10.6.1 and publishing from 2.5 at some point, it may have become corrupt another way. The best the software can do is let the export go through and tell you what thumbnail is corrupt.

I looked through that case, and I think there was an issue with Server's exportSite process that used the wrong TEMP directory. It should use the path defined by the TEMP environment variable. This is present in 10.7.1 and fixed at 10.8.

The thumbnail in the arcgisinput folder would be corrupt, but the process to create the thumbnail is the same between My Content and Manager. I'd suggest using ProcMon while exporting to see what the last service was that was exported correctly. The next one listed alphabetically could be the one with the corrupt thumbnail. You can use the Admin API to update it or delete it:

Edit Item Information—ArcGIS REST API: Administer your server | ArcGIS for Developers 

Out of curiosity, are you only exporting Server, or are you creating backups of Portal and Data Store as well?

stevecater1
Occasional Contributor

WebGISdr does not work and throws the error mentioned above during the server export. When using the server admin tools export it also throws the error.

The server export is defaulting to server\framework\runtime\tomcat\temp as it runs,    it then moves the tmp-ags-zip to the output folder (if it runs)

I went in and figured out that the export failed after a specific service located in the config-store\service\Hosted folder. When I checked the next service in the list there was a .jpeg thumbnail and a folder called thumbnail with a png file in it. I went into the arcgis\admin directory and updated the thumbnail using the admin. It updated the thumbail\thumbnail.png file. The png and jpeg file displayed correctly and were not pink or corrupted. After I updated the thumbnail the export worked.

To figure out what service was failing in the export I used ProcMon and set the filter to Path contains  tmp-ags