Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Server backup fails

05-11-2020 01:44 PM
stevecater1
Regular Contributor

When I run an ArcGIS Server backup I get this error message:

{"code":500,"messages":["Export operation failed. Unsupported Image Type"],"status":"error"}

The export fails every time. This is a federated AGS/Portal deployment. Has anyone seen this error before?

This happens in AGS 10.7.1

0 Kudos
22 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Glad you got it sorted out. We'll be updating the export logic to proceed but list the thumbnails that were corrupt so you can correct them far easier.

StefanUseldinger
Frequent Contributor

Haven't seen this in 10.8.1. When will this check be released?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

This is not resolved at 10.8.1, you can contact Support and they will have a workaround for you to implement.

0 Kudos
Mehretab
Frequent Contributor

I got the ["Export operation failed. Unsupported Image Type"] after updating our server from 10.6.1 to 10.8.1. It is a known issue and a solution is provided in the Technical Support. I already used the script in our windows based ArcGIS server. My question is, we have the same problem in our Linux based ArcGIS server. How can I  run the python script in Linux. Should I install Python 2.7 or Python 3? Or do we have a default python installation in linux based ArcGIS server?

Note: Our ArcGIS server is federated with portal.

cheers,

Mehretab

0 Kudos
Mehretab
Frequent Contributor

It turns out to be easier than I thought.

The Python installation location on Linux based ArcGIS Server machine is arcgis_server_installation_directory/arcgis/server/tools/python

and we can run python script on terminal as the example below:

ArcGISServer_InstallDir/arcgis/server/tools/python ~/your_python_ScriptDir/myscript.py

cheers,

Mehretab

0 Kudos
DianaBenedict1
Occasional Contributor

I wanted to document my findings in case others may find this useful. First, I want to start off by thanking Jonathan Quinn from ESRI for all his support with this issue. In our Enterprise GIS I was encountering the following issue after I upgraded our Enterprise (Porta, ArcGISServer, DataStore) from 10.6.1 to 10.8.1

• unable to overwrite existing Services- this process would fail
  • unable to run the giswebdr tool - it failed when backing up the federated gisserver
  • unable to run the exportSite REST operation in Services section of the GIS Server Admin site. I was getting the same error as mentioned above {"code":500,"messages":["Export operation failed. Unsupported Image Type"],"status":"error"}

Jon and I determined that all this issue were related this error. After creating a new simple jpeg image (in paint save jpg), I used this image to update the thumbnail for all the services on my GIS Server using the python script that Jon suggested as a fix. Using this method fixed my issue, I am now able to do the following:

• Use the exportSite operation in ArcGIS Server Admin Rest services endpoint
  • Run the webgisdr tool on the entire GIS Portal
  • Update existing service from ArcGIS Pro. It no longer fails to overwrite existing services.
Carl_Flint
Occasional Contributor

Jonathan,

I have a machine with this issue and the download link on the following support page doesn't download the zipped mitigation script.  Could you advise on another location for this file?

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000024415

Thanks,

Carl Flint, GISP
0 Kudos
Mehretab
Frequent Contributor

Here is the Script and make sure to save it as .py.

CesarPiovanetti1
New Contributor

Hi all, I am encountering the same issue while running WEBGISDR utility: {"code":500,"messages":["Export operation failed. Unsupported Image Type"],"status":"error"}

This error is only returned while backing up the ArcGIS Server part.

I downloaded the script associated with the bug mentioned in this thread, and created the generic PNG (also tried with JPG) but still returns the same error. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
MortenMa93
New Contributor

I've encountered the same issue. Did you find a solution? 

0 Kudos