Select to view content in your preferred language

Historical Imagery

12-25-2022 03:30 AM
arahman_mdmajid
Occasional Contributor

Adding historical imagery to ArcGIS Earth is a feature we have been missing for a while now. It will be beneficial if the team can incorporate World Imagery Wayback App in ArcGIS Earth. This will provide user to see their areas of interest in different time periods. In addition to adding the historical imagery, another thing that can add value to this feature is the swipe tool. These functionalities can really provide an edge to ArcGIS Earth in comparison to other similar applications.

5 Comments
GeoffroyRicher-Lalonde

We added the World Imagery Wayback WMTS layers and its metadata in our ArcGIS Earth organizational configuration, but it requires a lot of time and clicks...

1. Reference the WMTS layers in Portal or ArcGIS Online (https://wayback.maptiles.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Imagery/WMTS/1.0.0/default028mm/MapSe...)
  2. Create a Web Map for each WMTS layer you want to use. In them, add :
    1. The referenced WMTS layer
    2. Its associated metadata (example : https://metadata.maptiles.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Imagery_Metadata_2014_r01/MapServer)
  3. Incorporate the Web Maps IDs in your organizational configuration file. Example :

GeoffroyRicherLalonde_0-1672756214069.png

jsphillips

Thank you @GeoffroyRicher-Lalonde@arahman_mdmajid does this solution work for you?

GregoryFedie

@jsphillips is this still the only workaround or are there future plans to allow for Wayback to be integrated directly with ArcGIS Earth? 

jsphillips

@GregoryFedie thank you for reaching out! We do plan on exploring the integration of Wayback as a future capability in ArcGIS Earth. As I get more information I will make sure to share.

Adam_Inglis

I agree, having access to the wayback imagery in a time slider similar to how Google Earth handles their historical imagery would be a lot more user friendly.