Support for related tables in Operations Dashboard?

07-02-2013 02:16 AM
StuartRich
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am trying to use the Operations Dashboard to display data for features that have information stored in related tables.  For example, a building has a table of areas by space type.  I have published the related tables through a web map, but the Operations Dashboard does not seem to be able to see them.  Does Operations Dashboard have support for related tables?

Thanks in advance,

Stu Rich
17 Replies
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III

Great, 10.3 is due to be released this month. hopefully not much longer to wait.

0 Kudos
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

All - we will have an update to the Operations Dashboard coming in December but....

It will not include support for related tables as a data source. What we will provide is the ability for you to browse for a standalone table as an external data source and you can apply a filter to that data source if you like. However we will NOT yet support the ability to navigate an established geodatabase relationship class.

Unfortunately that fell out of scope for our release. It is still high on our list and includes support for related tables in the popup as well as the data source.

Note that we are augmenting the related tables definition in the webmap to support the release of Collector with related table editing (10.3). You will be able to define a popup on a table with this update. We want to take advantage of this feature being added when supporting related tables in the Operations Dashboard as well.

Jeff

TedChapin

Jeff,

Looks like still no support for related tables in Operations Dashboard.  I like the idea of using the standalone table as a workaround, however, I haven't been able to link a query on the standalone table to a selected record in another layer.  Ideally I would like to query a feature layer, display the results in a list, and when I click on one of the results, show a list of the results of another query against the standalone table.  I can't figure out how to do this.  Can you make a query where the value is equal to the field of a selected record in another list widget?  Then you could do this without needing a native relationship.

Ted

AndrewHargreaves
Occasional Contributor II

Hey everyone,

I just stumbled across this thread as I ran into the exact same issue - the need to access related tables within Operations dashboard. Here's how I solved it:

I have a hosted feature service with a related table in my map. I can't access this related table as a data source in my map, or even as external data source.

But, as @Jeff Shaner explains above there is support for a stand alone table. What i did was take the Service URL of that (hosted) related table, add it as a new item in my ArcGIS Online content, and access that as an external data source. Now, when field crews make a new inspection record in the field using Collector the results show up in my dashboard.

Thanks

simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Jeff ShanerAndrew Hargreaves

It's true that the related tables can be added as external datasources.

But there's a problem,  for example, you have a list widget using the external datasource, and you have a map widget as well in the OD.  the list widget and the map widget are not linked, no feature actions will be working in the list widget!  In the real case, this kind of the dashboard could be confusing and misleading.

To make the related table and the map widget work together, as Ted Chapin mentioned in his post, you need to develop a custom widget, in the widget (let's say a list widget built in JavaScript)

1. Use the map widget as the datasource

2. Query the related table directly, Featurelayer.queryFeatures(...), something like that, and make sure to configure your widget so that it can use your dashboard credential to do the query, otherwise it will ask you for credentials.

3. Append the fields from the related table to the map layer features when building the store for the list.

4. After step 3, when building the list, you can determine which fields to display, from the related table or from the layer.

5. Now the list widget and the map is linked. you can use highlight, zoom to , and so on feature actions.

The reason this trick will work is that the featureactionFeatures don't care what you display in the list, as long as you keep the datasourceproxy and IDs of the features, the predefined featureactions will work.

This solution is far from perfect, this twist make me feel I am hacking the system.

Hope ESRI can give us an update for the OD, and let it support related tables, then we can have a more elegant solution.

Cheers,

Simo

VickyS
by
Occasional Contributor

Is there an update on this? We really need it so we can make the most of the data collected using the Collector App. Managers need to be able to see the details of the item and problem is related to.

Thank you

ChristopherOlsen

Here's link to the video I made showing how you can use related tables in Operations Dashboard.  Hope this helps with some of the issues that have come up in supporting related tables.

Using Related Tables in Operations Dashboard

Andrewwilhelm1
New Contributor II

^this is exactly what I'm looking for as well

0 Kudos