Related tables and Operations Dashboard

06-07-2019 02:27 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

This topic has been posted for years, and the most recent posts have no responses. (My feelings won't get hurt if this post falls into that category)

In 2016, this post appears with an instructional video that describes a procedure however, the operations dashboard version used isn't available anymore.  Back in 2015, Andrew Hargreaves‌ added a comment to this post basically describing the method shown in the 2016 video.

So here we are, in 2019 and it appears that related data isn't even on the dashboard radar anymore.  

Here is my work case:  I have a polygon of zipcodes for my area of interest, along with a table of Meals On Wheels deliveries.  I've created a relationship class between the Zipcode polygons to the delivery data( 1:m ) I've published that data (both feature class and table) as a Map Image layer as well as a Feature layer to our internal portal. And that's where the trail goes cold.  It would be cool in Operations Dashboard to filter the related data by a deliver date range to gauge a trend month to month, or look at March 2018 and then at March 2019 deliveries to see any change in a given area of the map.

Wishful thinking?  On the drawing board? Currently available? 

That should just about do it....
3 Replies
NickDierks1
Occasional Contributor II

I've been forging through what I can and cannot do with related data in Operations Dashboard as well. Here's what I've found out:

After publishing a Hosted Feature Service with related table (my workflow is here, but I need to use Survey123, so I don't know how much of that is relevant for other workflows), and adding that data to a web map, both the HFS and related table appear in OpsDash as target layers for various widgets. You can do a decent amount with widgets using the related data, but filtering the map is still not very easy.

If you need to use filters based on the zip codes in your delivery data, then something you might want to look into is joining the data. I started a test run of this, but haven't yet had the time to scale it up and determine how useful it will be.

I joined the HFS to the table (either this seems backwards to me, or I just don't know what I'm doing), set up a 1:M join based on an Address field in both items (haven't yet checked if I can do this based on the matching GUID/GlobalID noted in my earlier workflow), and created a hosted feature layer view from the join. This cost me 0.3 credits for 300 records (total parent records + total related records).

This view has a single point for every related record, which includes the full attributes of the corresponding parent record. This so far seems to work in OpsDash just as much as any other non-related layer does. The big question, however, and I did not get to test this yet, is "Is this view completely static, or will it update whenever I add/modify records in the original HFS/Table? And if it updates, will it cost more credits?"

Even if this works for what you're looking to do, I'm sure it's still not an ideal solution. This is as far as I've gotten right now, and maybe it can provide some sort of starting point for you.

Of course, the best solution would be for Operations Dashboard to work more fluidly with related data, or, alternatively, for it to honor custom attributes via Arcade (this workflow would directly apply to your situation, and here's a related Idea to upvote).

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Nick; I'm doing this in our portal so hopefully th functionality is there as well. I'm a little unclear on how a 1:M join would work, but I'm sitting here in my lving room as I type this; back in the office soo, and I'll sudy the links you provide.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
SandraLuken1
Esri Contributor

Perhaps this will help? This tech article outlines how to leverage the action framework with related tables in ArcGIS Dashboards (previously known as Operation Dashboards). How To: Show related records in Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS 

0 Kudos