Dashboard Download Data Error?

10-12-2021 01:04 AM
NeilWebber
New Contributor III

Hi

I've just picked up on the new(ish) data download option in Dashboards. It's a great addition but it doesn't seem to work correctly for me when using a spatial filter.

I have a set of point features ('Units') in a map and I have a List element that has the 'Units' layer as its data source.

Each unit can be one of 5 types. I have a Category Selector that filters the list based on attribute 'Type'

When this attribute filter is applied to the list, the list displays the correct number of records and the download csv contains the correct number of records. So this works fine.

I also have a polygon layer in the map ('Centres'). Some 'Units' are in 'Centres' and some are not.

I have another Category Selector with 'Centres' as its source and it filters 'Units' using a spatial filter.

When a Centre (spatial) filter is applied, the List element displays the correct number of records (i.e. the Units within the chosen Centre). However, the downloaded List data contains extra 'Unit' records. These extra Units appear to be ones that are within the envelope of the filtering polygon, but not actually within its true extent.

I can't see any note in the guidance to suggest that download from a spatially filtered element is not supported.

Am I missing something or is this expected behaviour?

thanks, Neil

4 Replies
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

How is the data sourced? Data download will only work on hosted feature layers per https://doc.arcgis.com/en/dashboards/create-and-share/download-data.htm 

What you are describing may be data related but it's good to narrow it down. Hope this helps,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
NeilWebber
New Contributor III

Thanks Jansen. The source data is a hosted feature layer, and as far as I can tell I'm meeting all the pre-requisites noted in the ESRI guidance. The 'download data' capability is available in my List element, it just doesn't seem to work correctly. 

Neil

GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @NeilWebber , cool I think that helps. There were a few discussion posts made initially after the option for data download went live and I recall they had opened ESRI tickets in case it was network or server/organization specific. I know one had posted again saying it had been resolved for them going this route. I would recommend the same, opening an ESRI ticket, and thankfully the chance of errors are narrow here for how specific and new the tool is. That way they can see if you have a setting that needs change or a system update somewhere and walk you through it. It may be beneficial also to check your browser as well as device update needs, see if there's a setting or firewall preventing download somewhere.

Hope this helps, God bless,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
AMoyers
New Contributor III

@NeilWebber 

I have been following this issue since September 2021.  We are having the same problem with a dashboard we've been using that uses a spatial filter with circles.  The problem is exactly as you described.  In this discussion, someone said that it was intended behavior but it's not formally documented anywhere by Esri.  This is the discussion post I had up for this as well: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-dashboards-questions/dashboard-data-export-not-correct-when-usi....  The basic response was that Esri didn't actually create the export functionality to work with geometries in spatial filters, they created it to work with the "envelope" for a geometry.  To work around the issue we decided to go with square bounding boxes for circles instead of the original circle, this did not entirely fix the problem however.  The numbers are close enough though that it does appear to be envelope based, the envelopes we are using probably just need to be tweaked to make it precise.  We are still getting extra results in the export.  Have you heard anything back about this issue or found any workarounds for your use case?

I am having disbelief with this issue and feel it's necessary to be blunt.  All the export should be doing is mirroring whatever widget it's exporting from -- after all, the widget has already populated it.  If the data is showing up correctly in that widget it makes zero sense that the data doesn't download the same way unless it was intentional development choice.   If it is an intentional development choice to not make it work as expected, why implement it at all?