Make your Dashboards more Dynamic using URL Parameters

12-11-2018 02:15 PM
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
6 4 1,525

FYI, this blog discusses the new URL parameters functionality that was added to Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS in the recent ArcGIS Online December 2018 update. It explains the concept and reviews several examples.

Make your Dashboards more Dynamic using URL Parameters 

Enjoy,

4 Comments
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

Great post! Derek Law

I wanted to mention that it appears the formatting is a bit wonky on the blog post page. There is a bunch of duplicate text underneath the dev team signature.#

DerekLaw

Thanks for the positive feedback Clay.

> I wanted to mention that it appears the formatting is a bit wonky on the blog post page. There is a bunch of duplicate text underneath the dev team signature.#

I'm not seeing this behavior in FireFox or Chrome. What web browser are you using? Can you please post a screenshot?

Thanks,

RudolfdeMunnik
New Contributor III

Hi Derek @DerekLaw. I know its been a long time since the blog article about URL parameters. I just wanted to thank you, because we used this method extensively during COVID at Disaster Centers in South Africa. I used StoryMaps to "scroll" through various areas and update maps based on URL parameters. I also created a Time Slider with the Javascript API Timeslider widget. Worked like a charm.

This worked well in the "Classic" Dashboard where only the map, widgets and content will update based on the URL parameter changes. Since the new version of the Dashboard - this does not work anymore, because when parameters change - the whole page refreshes.

Please find two examples below:

1. "Classic" Dashboard with URL parameters and TimeSlider widget video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxqkcgxaezl8s5z/Freight_Train_Tracking.mp4?dl=0

2. New Dashboard with URL parameters and same TimeSlider widget video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfkzdryqnq7g4gn/Freight_Train_Tracking_New_Dashboard.mp4?dl=0

Do you have any advice?

Thank you

Rudolf

DerekLaw

Hi @RudolfdeMunnik

Sorry for the late reply, I was out on business travel last week.

> ... blog article about URL parameters ... Since the new version of the Dashboard - this does not work anymore, because when parameters change - the whole page refreshes.

I moved teams about 18 months ago and don't cover ArcGIS Dashboards. I've asked a product engineer on the Dashboard team to investigate this item. Meanwhile, I suggest you open an issue with Esri Tech Support so they can help look at your issue.

Hope this helps,

About the Author
Senior Product Manager | Twitter: @GIS_Bandit | Mastodon: mastodon.world/@GIS_Bandit | Bluesky: bsky.app/profile/gisbandit.bsky.social