Problem downloading offline area in new Collector, but not Collector Classic

Jump to solution
02-21-2019 06:44 AM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I created a web map which has an editable feature layer in it for our staff to use for offline data collection in the field. On multiple devices, we have been able to successfully download an offline map area in Collector Classic, but not the new Collector app. Since it seems this isn’t an issue with the map being offline capable, any other ideas why this might be happening? I did not receive any other error message other than a generic “download failed”. 

Thanks!

Edit/Update:  I have received a lot of helpful insight on this topic, and in my particular case, I believe the error was caused by having a copied layer in the web map. I was able to determine this by using the Developer Logging feature described below.

If this issue pertains to you, you can up-vote this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/16311-enableallow-maps-with-multiple-copies-of-a-layer-to-be-used-o... 

Here is a related Geonet blog post that I did not find in my initial research: https://community.esri.com/thread/227015-webmap-can-download-in-collector-classic-but-not-in-new-col...

Hope this helps someone!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
42 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Livia,

Have you checked back in AGOL in the Manage Areas screen; does it still say Generating there as well for your area? There was a known issue on the AGOL side, which shouldnt occur anymore, where areas would take an extended time to generate or get stuck in this process. If you are seeing that the area is generating in Collector but not in AGOL there is potentially some other problem and yes please create a new thread. You can attach your log there for reference. I hope this helps!

Colin

Regards,
Colin
SeanSmith
New Contributor II

Hi Colin - I too have struck the same issue with managed areas in AGOL.  I’ve tried accessing a pre-defined managed area on an iPhone 6 Plus (V12.2), an iPad (5th generation – V12.2) and an iPhone 8 and they’re all doing the same thing for the same map/managed area.  The Managed Area in AGOL completes - its approx 385K in size - i tried a smaller area thinking larger areas were the issue - but it occurs on small areas also.  There is no feedback when Collector Developer mode is invoked, so no log feedback to go off.  It simply hangs on Generating... on the device and never returns.

0 Kudos
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Colin Lawrence

Just wanted to add that I opened a new question for this here.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having this issue as well. Just deleted and reinstalled the app. When I click  the download icon on the map area in Collector, the icon spins to show the download progress, then goes back to the cloud icon. No error messages, no copies of layers, sync is enabled. Everything worked fine in Collector Classic.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Pam,

I know you said "no error message". Does that mean that nothing is showing up in the log under Developer options? (as discussed earlier in the post). 

If you haven't tried with logging enabled yet, give that a shot and see if it can give us any more detailed information. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Katherine,

I tried again this morning - the log file is attached.

Thanks,

Pam

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Pam,

Is this a pre-planned map area generated in AGOL? Are you able to add an On Demand area directly within the app?

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Colin, that didn’t work either. Log file is attached.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Pam,

Would you be able to share your map with us if in AGOL? If so, share the map and feature service to a group and invite the user Collector4Arcgis. 

In the log file I see a familiar error, but would like to investigate the data setup if possible. "The field already exists."

Thanks!

Regards,
Colin
coreyyurtinus_CES
New Contributor

Hi Colin,

I'm having a similar issue where the map fails to download.  It doesn't look like logging is enabled for Collector or Field Maps on Android so I'm not able to see what the issue is.  I don't have access to an iPhone or iPad device to get the logs.

Help me Colin-kenobi, you're my only hope.

Thanks,

Corey

0 Kudos