Problem downloading offline area in new Collector, but not Collector Classic

Jump to solution
02-21-2019 06:44 AM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I created a web map which has an editable feature layer in it for our staff to use for offline data collection in the field. On multiple devices, we have been able to successfully download an offline map area in Collector Classic, but not the new Collector app. Since it seems this isn’t an issue with the map being offline capable, any other ideas why this might be happening? I did not receive any other error message other than a generic “download failed”. 

Thanks!

Edit/Update:  I have received a lot of helpful insight on this topic, and in my particular case, I believe the error was caused by having a copied layer in the web map. I was able to determine this by using the Developer Logging feature described below.

If this issue pertains to you, you can up-vote this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/16311-enableallow-maps-with-multiple-copies-of-a-layer-to-be-used-o... 

Here is a related Geonet blog post that I did not find in my initial research: https://community.esri.com/thread/227015-webmap-can-download-in-collector-classic-but-not-in-new-col...

Hope this helps someone!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
42 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, you have been extremely helpful. Thank you!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
PatrickFilyer
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Colin Lawrence‌, Who should i send the error log to?

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

You can either post it here or send it to me in a direct message. These are also useful to provide to Support when you log a case with them, which depending on if its a known issue, I may have you do. 

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Colin,

Thanks for your help.

I take it you are recommending creating lists in ArcGIS On-Line.

Would the layers publish better if done from ArcGIS Pro?

I haven’t used AGOL to create lists but it seems like a lot of extra typing and you can’t seem to create lists dependent on another field but if done in desktop – the intuitive lists appear in Collector.

The harvest_lines and harvest_points layers were created in Desktop and published to ArcGIS On-Line. They do have the same domains for a few of the fields.

Operation Status is one of the fields that is duplicated in both – it is named differently in each layer (one is OP_Status – other in Status) but used the same domain in Desktop.

I was using 10.4.something most likely when I first created these layers.

harvest_lines was first published on 11 April 2017 - harvest_points was first published a couple of months earlier on 13 Feb 2017.

Peter

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Peter,

I wouldnt say i'm recommending that practice; I was more assuming that this is what you used because its easier to run into this issue that way. Creating domains (and curating your data in general) will always be more powerful in Desktop. I would say the online interface is most useful for applying domains to layers created from templates in AGOL or quickly adding a new value to an domain.

In regards to this error, things get a little more murky when your data is coming from Desktop, or at least harder to explain. If i'm remembering correctly, the two source layers would come from separate geodatabases and contain a domain with the same name (different geodatabase, different domain, same name). In this scenario all of the layers were published to the same service, but I see you have a service for each layer. It may be worth trying to republish this data (both harvest layers) as a single service as it sounds like they are indeed coming from the same geodatabase so you shouldn't have the issue noted above. Again your situation is less clear to me so I cannot say with certainty this will work. If it doesn't I would suggest logging a ticket with Support so it can be dug into further. 

Colin

Regards,
Colin
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Colin,

The two harvest layers were in the same geodatabase when I published them from Desktop. They were published at different times, as I got the data sorted, so they were published as separate services.

I’ll try you suggestion of re-publishing to the same service.

Thanks again - will follow up the Support people if that doesn’t work.

Peter

LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Hi Colin. I hope it's okay for me to piggy back on this question. I am having problems downloading a map to both the classic and new versions of Collector. It's a map that's previously worked in classic, so I am not sure what has happened to suddenly make it not work.

The layers in the online map were originally set up in ArcMap and published as one service to Server. The layers (NOT copies of one another) point to number of feature classes from one geodatabase (Oracle). Each feature class has an attribute called Process_Group, which all rely on the one domain in the database (the domain is also called Process_Group). Am I reading this thread correctly that this will cause problems? 

Again, I have been able to download this same map before to Classic. I was able to download an extremely small area to the new Collector (an unusable, pointless area it's so small). So maybe my issues have nothing to do with what this thread is about. But I want to better understand the duplicate layer and/or domain name issue to see if that could be impacting me.

Let me know if I need to provide any further information. Thanks! Livia

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Livia,

Because all of your data is coming from one Geodatabase, you would not run into this problem. From a Desktop perspective, the only situation you would see this is where you have two GDBs that both have a domain with the same name and you publish a collection of layers as a single Feature Service that have sources in each GDB with the 'duplicate' domain.

As you are getting successful downloads using smaller areas I would say confidently this is not related. You can use the steps earlier in the thread to capture a log using the new version of Collector when the download fails; perhaps this will give us a hint. 

Colin

Regards,
Colin
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

I see. Thanks for clarifying!

0 Kudos
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Hello again, Colin. My problem seems to be specifically with downloading preplanned map areas created in AGOL. I have tested creating extremely small map areas in AGOL, and no matter what it says "Generating" in Collector for really long periods of time (I have not yet succeeded in downloading these at all). Whereas I am able to download a much larger area fairly quickly (about 20 minutes) selecting the offline area straight in Collector. Should I start a new Geonet post? Also, I created a log file but can't make sense of it. Thanks again for your assistance! Livia

0 Kudos