Problem downloading offline area in new Collector, but not Collector Classic

Jump to solution
02-21-2019 06:44 AM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I created a web map which has an editable feature layer in it for our staff to use for offline data collection in the field. On multiple devices, we have been able to successfully download an offline map area in Collector Classic, but not the new Collector app. Since it seems this isn’t an issue with the map being offline capable, any other ideas why this might be happening? I did not receive any other error message other than a generic “download failed”. 

Thanks!

Edit/Update:  I have received a lot of helpful insight on this topic, and in my particular case, I believe the error was caused by having a copied layer in the web map. I was able to determine this by using the Developer Logging feature described below.

If this issue pertains to you, you can up-vote this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/16311-enableallow-maps-with-multiple-copies-of-a-layer-to-be-used-o... 

Here is a related Geonet blog post that I did not find in my initial research: https://community.esri.com/thread/227015-webmap-can-download-in-collector-classic-but-not-in-new-col...

Hope this helps someone!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
42 Replies
TylerLarson
New Contributor III

Just so I understand this clearly.  There was a fix for this applied so any new data brought into AGOL/Collector is OK to have the same domain name in different layers correct?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Colin, I am having similar issues. I am using an Android TDC600 and when I try to download the offline Map Areas, it gets about 90% uploaded and then crashes. Occasionally it will download with smaller maps (maybe 1 out of every 20 tries). This is the case in both Collector and Field Maps. It provides an error that says: "An error has occurred while downloading". I have tried to follow the directions to view the error log but it just shows a "Placeholder" under developer options. I read on another form post that "right now in Collector (Android), developer option is not implemented yet." The interesting thing is that the Map Areas download just fine on my iOS iPhone 8. 

The layers do not have duplicated columns. The layers are not copies of other layers. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
akochman
New Contributor II

I have the same error on my Android. I'm pretty annoyed with Esri's half-baked apps/software when they are clearly advertised to work. No QA of their software at all.

0 Kudos