Collector Symbology from table field

12-14-2015 12:49 PM
RaymondGoins
Occasional Contributor

I have setup the fire hydrant Inspections for collector. I am trying to do 2 things. Have the inspectors in the field update asset info by editing the asset values and also add an inspection. The main purpose for this is to collect hydrant pressures. I would like to symbolize the hydrants based off of a field. In this case it is STATIC_PRES. I would like to have Hydrants with a value of 0 to be symbolize red and all others to be green. So if the hydrant is red, they know they have to get a static pressure.

Couple problems I have run into.

First Attempt:

Using arcmap I have accomplished this using the symbology and publishing the service. The map looks great. The problem is when I try to edit the static pressure it has become a drop down and the only thing I can select are 0 and "no value".

Second attempt:

I took the symbology off and published the service with just a basic symbol. I created the map and used the change style screen to set up a color ramp that goes from 0 and >1 . This seems to work with the online map but collector will not recognize the symbology and makes all the hydrants the same.

Anyone have any work arounds for this? Becoming a royal pain in the A$# !!

Thanks

Ray

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
RaymondGoins
Occasional Contributor

Still haven't figured this one out.

Anyone!?!?!

0 Kudos
JakeJacobs
Occasional Contributor III

This is probably not a great solution, but as a total workaround - have you thought about trying to symbolize on a different field like "inspection date" or something that you are also having them fill in (or auto-filling, maybe)? 

It is odd that it's treating your unique symbol renderer as a domain.

The only other thing I was wondering is if you set up the feature editing template before you published your feature service.  The webmaps seem to behave better when you do that.

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

The hydrants inspection uses related tables.  It is my understanding that you cannot have symbology in the related table.  You need to create a field in the feature that you can change either when collecting data or by a script.  See this thread for additional information.

0 Kudos
RaymondGoins
Occasional Contributor

I want to symbolize on the asset itself. The inspection is really just there as a bonus. I am really using this to get Static Pressure readings from the field.

Also I have never really set up a feature editing template. Have to look into that one.

Here are a couple screen shots showing the issue when publishing the service with symbology.

HydSymb.jpg

When I try to put in a static pressure I get the error below.

HydEdit1.jpg

When I click the arrow all I get is the 0 as an option.

HydEdit2.jpg

Again, Thanks for taking the time to help

Ray

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

So, related tables are not being used.  The dropdown for Static Pressure would suggest to me that the field is using a domain for look-up values and that 0 is the only value defined in the domain.  The "no value"  would suggest that nulls are allowed for the field.

If you wish to collect either integer or double type values for the field, you probably shouldn't be using a domain.  Then collector will not offer a drop-down.  For this, an integer type might be best.

If you wanted to group values into a domain for a drop-down menu, you should set up the domain to use an integer type field with something like 0 = "0", 1 = "0 to 20", 2 = "21 - 30", .... n = "51 or over".

0 Kudos
RaymondGoins
Occasional Contributor

The static pressure field is not using a domain. It is an integer field.

I have it symbolize as 0 showing red and all other showing green. When I publish the service this is what is causing the domain like behavior.

Ray

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I would suggest taking a look at the json file using  REST API.  For AGOL, select your hydrants feature layer in MyContent.  Then, on the next screen,  click on the link under layers to go to the “Service URL".  There will be a link at the top of the next page for the json file which contains information about your feature.

In the “fields” section, you should see something like this:

"fields" : [
    ... other fields ...
    {
      "name" : "staticPressure", 
      "type" : "esriFieldTypeInteger", 
      "alias" : "Static Pressure", 
      "sqlType" : "sqlTypeOther", 
      "nullable" : true, 
      "editable" : true, 
      "domain" : null, 
      "defaultValue" : null
    },
    ... other fields ...
],

For domain, does it show "null"?

0 Kudos
RaymondGoins
Occasional Contributor

Yes

{
  "name" : "STATIC_PRES",
  "type" : "esriFieldTypeSmallInteger",
  "alias" : "Static Pressure",
  "sqlType" : "sqlTypeOther",
  "nullable" : true,
  "editable" : true,
  "domain" : null,
  "defaultValue" : null
  },
0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Hmmm....  I'll do some experimenting and see if I can duplicate the issue.

0 Kudos