Collector for Android will not show secure services, but works fine in Collector for iOS

11-10-2015 09:22 PM
deleted-user-E8wwR5RoICF_
New Contributor

We have a mobile data collector map that has a secure service (we use windows authentication), and after opening the map and entering my credentials it works great using Collector for iOS but it will not load the service in Collector for Android. The services just show up as grayed out and unable to turn on. I know that i'm entering my credentials correctly, as it accepts it (and testing using a wrong password it pops back up and makes me try again).

Again, this is the exact same mobile map and I'm using my exact same credentials, and it works in iOS but not Android. Is there some android security setting or something I am missing? I've tried it on a Samsung Galaxy Note Tab 12.2 running Android 5.1.1 as well a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 running Android 4.4.2 and both give same results. It works great on an iPad running iOS 9.1.

Thanks for any ideas!!!@@@

iOS, layers available after entering secured credentials:

iOS Success.PNG

Android, unable to turn-on layers after entering secured credentials (only top two layers are secured, second layer is not). They are grayed out and unusable:

Android Fail.png

8 Replies
Juan_JoséPino_Povedano
New Contributor II

Hi!

I´ve the same problem that you said, but I don´t use windows authentication.

There is a problem with Android. In my case with iOS shows a warning about the security of the page and it loads the layers, however in Android doesn´t show the warning, the App doesn´t load the layers.

I´ve tried with Android 5.1.1 and It works fine.

My scenarys are:

Collector and ArcGIS Online work fine with iOS and Android

Collector , ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Server don´t work fine with Android versions lower than 5.1.1.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-E8wwR5RoICF_
New Contributor

Hello Juan-

Have you had any further success with this? I still seem to be getting this error running the latest Android OS

Thanks

Kyle

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kyle,

Some issues that I have had with Android and secure layers is first, no ownership control can be on.  (It worked at one point but doesn't seem to work now).

Also, If I have any filters set through the online map, It will not download on Android, don't know why but it seem to cause an issue.

Finally, when publishing the layer, you have to publish all features attributes if you try and leave any unchecked so they are not visible to the end user it causes a download error.

I hope this helps,

Cody

0 Kudos
Juan_JoséPino_Povedano
New Contributor II

Hi Kyle,

I´ve tested with Android 5.1.1 and the new versión of ArcGIS for Collector. I can check the layers and see in the mobile but when I try to create a new feature and send to the server the Collector gives me an error, I´m not really sure if that error is related to synchronization problems, I read about it and there is a workaround.

I hope this helps,

JJ

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Kyle,

Are you referencing these secured services in your web map using HTTPS? If so, are you using a trusted CA certificate on your ArcGIS Server? When navigating to the secured service URL in a web browser on your Android device, are you able to view the REST endpoint (ex. https://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/CommercialDamageAssessment/FeatureServer )? Are you prompted for credentials, and are you able to reach the service endpoint?

If possible, could you configure Fiddler to act as a proxy on your Android device, so we can determine what kind of failure is occurring with these secure services? The blogs below provide some general steps used to set up Fiddler as a proxy on Android as well as iOS:

http://docs.telerik.com/fiddler/configure-fiddler/tasks/configureforandroid

Configure Fiddler to Capture Web Traffic from an iPhone/iPad | Support Services Blog

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns with the suggestions above.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
MikeSullivan
New Contributor III

Has anyone resolved this issue at Esri?  I just came up with the same problem.  Works in iOS, but not android.  This needs to be resolved by Esri in my opinion.  I am trying to use Collector on Android version 6.0.1.  and was able to login to the REST endpoint and see the service just fine.  Something in the Collector app is not seeing the secured service.  Please respond.

ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Mike,

A lot of the questions in my post should be addressed before we can pin this issue on Collector alone. Could you provide more context on how security is configured for your services? Are you using HTTPS? Tokens? How is the web map configured and referencing your secured service (added to the web map directly, added as an item in Online/Portal with stored credentials, etc.)?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
MikeSullivan
New Contributor III

I was able to resolve the issue with tech support and my secured services are now working as an added item to AGOL with stored credentials.  Thanks for the inquiry.

Mike