Collector fails to open on Windows 10

Jump to solution
01-17-2019 01:47 AM
StuartMoore
Occasional Contributor III

Help, I've got a HP equivalent of a Surface Pro and finally managed to install collector ( i had to side load it as the MS store ) but when i try to open Collector it just crashes, ive tried re-installing it a few times with the same problems

any ideas?

Stu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexEllick2
New Contributor II

Sorry to bump an old thread but I found the solution for this. Our environment does not allow access to the Windows Store and we were encountering the same issue.

You need to leverage the .xml license file included in the package. I used powershell to accomplish it.

[as administrator]

add-appxprovisionedpackage -packagepath "\\path\to\Esri.CollectorforArcGIS_18.0.2.0_neutral_~_eytg3kh68c6a8.AppxBundle" -licensepath "\\path\to\Esri.CollectorforArcGIS_eytg3kh68c6a8_fe8f779c-a85b-7bde-46c4-970b7fbd7ab4.xml" -online 

This will install the app in "provisioned" mode which means that all future users will get the package. It will generally install for the existing users but I've seen where it doesn't. 

To install from an existing provisioned install, you can use a variation of the following:

add-appxpackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Esri.CollectorforArcGIS_18.0.2.0_neutral_~_eytg3kh68c6a8\AppxMetadata\AppxBundleManifest.xml" -disabledevelopmentmode

YMMV

Hope this helps someone else out here!

View solution in original post

14 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Stuart, could you explain the behavior in a bit more detail? For example, does the app successfully launch to the sign in screen or are you not even getting to that point. If im understanding correctly, you do not have access to the Microsoft store?

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
StuartMoore
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Colin,

yea it doesn't get to the sign in screen, just crashes nearly as soon as you try and launch it and yes the device hasn't access to the MS store so I had to side load it from the ESRI download

Stu

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Stuart, 

Lets check the size of your installation to make sure it completely successfully:

From the Windows start menu, select Settings > Apps & Features > find and select Collector for ArcGIS > Advanced options > check the storage size for the App. It should be about 59 MB. If you see a value that is significantly smaller, there may have been a problem with the installation. Typically this is caused by specific Windows Group Policy settings or anti virus program so it is best to work with your IT to narrow it down further. I have seen this effected by Microsoft Update Group Policy settings if that helps. 

Thanks!

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
DiegoPortillo
New Contributor III

We just experienced the same problem with collector running in iOS. When you login, the app just crashes. It was working ok a couple of weeks ago, and it looks like Collector was updated 1 week ago. Is there a bug in the new release? I know last year was a similar problem.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Diego,

The issue described here is unique to Collector for Windows when installed outside of the app store. It sounds like you are having a separate problem in iOS. Would you mind either creating a new question or logging a case with Support Services? Some things to check and note would be:

Does the app load at all or is in only crashing when attempting to log in?

Version of Collector (same behavior in the new version and Classic?)

Organization or login specific (are you able to log in to the Try It account?)

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
DiegoPortillo
New Contributor III

Colin, thank you for the information. I opened a ticked and found the problem. A bug was created (BUG-000120421) for this issue. Thanks

ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

Was this resolved? Having the same issue.

Thanks,

Claire

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Claire,

Are you referring to the crashing behavior on Windows or iOS? The iOS crashing with Diego was caused by Group ordering in ArcGIS Online. Are you using a Group to share Maps and Data for Collector?

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

Colin - Windows. Collector for ArcGIS was installed outside of the windows store. 

0 Kudos