Rule Packages for Suburban areas? Looking for some CGA rules/code that will generate various/random houses in Suburban areas

Jump to solution
10-30-2017 10:20 AM
MikeMayer2
New Contributor II

I'm interested if there are any rule packages or CGA code out there that will generate 3D Houses in CityEngine from existing footprints or even from existing 3D buildings with no textures? I have a City Model that has major suburban areas with lots of houses. We have detailed 3D textured buildings for our City Centre area where all the high rises reside, but the outlying areas contain lots of suburban areas and houses, apartments etc. I have 3D buildings of these areas derived from LiDAR, but no textures. I'm looking to either texture these buildings randomly through a rule or CGA code or generate houses from the code and existing building footprints. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri.lib, which comes with CityEngine, has some generic building rules that might be useful.  The Building_From_Footprint.cga rule works on 2D footprints as initial shapes, and the Building_Mass_Texturizer.cga rule works on 3D models as initial shapes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MatthiasBuehler3
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike,

We may be able to help you on the CityEngine side, to help developing such rules.

www.vrbn.io

Have a great day!

matt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
matthias buehler || ceo & co-founder || msc. arch. eth zurich
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vrbn AG – official esri partner 
|| www.vrbn.io || winterthurerstrasse 53 || 8610 uster || switzerland
+41 78 930 04 07 || 
matthias.buehler@vrbn.io || @vrbnio @mattb3d

0 Kudos
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri.lib, which comes with CityEngine, has some generic building rules that might be useful.  The Building_From_Footprint.cga rule works on 2D footprints as initial shapes, and the Building_Mass_Texturizer.cga rule works on 3D models as initial shapes.

MikeMayer2
New Contributor II

Thanks Cheryl....Building_Mass_Texturizer worked great, my only problem is all the houses look like they're from California! Better than Grey 3D buildingst hough...i will see if I can add a Vancouver style to it somehow. Cheers.

0 Kudos
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, the limitation is the textures in the library.  If you have your own set of Vancouver-like textures, you can try to make your own texture library, make a copy of the rule, and modify your version of the rule to point to your own texture library.