Is it possible to export CityEngine models to EnergyPlus tool for energy analysis purposes?

12-30-2014 03:36 AM
SóniaIldefonso
New Contributor

It seems to be a possible workflow in the LakeSIM project...

Is anyone familiar with that? Is it possible?@

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've inquired with a contact to see if/how they did that.

The general workflow is:

1. use report() operation in CGA to attach metadata to model.

2. write a python script to run from the "python-scripted export" (see help docs).

3. script writes out text file using the reported metadata in the models.

These types script can write to text-based formats (txt, csv, html, xml), so if EnergyPlus is a format you understand, then this is possible, and not that difficult.

Chris

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sónia,

It appears you've located with Bo Rodda already. My takeaway from his notes was:

"The energy modeler we used was an implementation of the ISO 13790 standard which is dramatically simplified compared to E+.

So no CE to E+ workflow yet, but definitely possible.

Chris

0 Kudos
SóniaIldefonso
New Contributor

Hello Chris,

thank you so much for the quick answers.

I've located with Bo Rodda indeed. I got their point in the LakeSIM Project and I checked some information about their energy modeler tool.

What do you think about the CityEngine to Ecotect workflow approach? It seems to be an obvious solution... isn't it?

Thanks,

Sónia

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We haven't tried CE to Ecotect yet. I had friends in architecture school that were using Ecotect. Are you or your students using it?

0 Kudos
SóniaIldefonso
New Contributor

We're familiar with Ecotect here. Not yet the combination workflow.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If ecotect is text-based format, then we could make an exporter using python in CityEngine, but it would be dependent on the complexity of their format.

0 Kudos
FranciscoCosta1
Occasional Contributor

If anyone is still looking for this, i am writing a GPTool that does this, if you are interested contact me. Use my forum profile.

Jhon_Escorcia
New Contributor

Francisco, I'm interested in the tool you've been developing. I'm struggling with the same issue. 

I tried to contact you in your profile but it wasn't possible. Looking forward for your answer. 

0 Kudos